• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a Peach Faced Lovebird. Is this a good amount of toys?

Is it too much or not?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

DisIsAbyss

Moving in
Hello,

I am very soon getting a Peach Faced Lovebird, and I have a couple questions. Is a 30" x 18" by 18" cage good? If so, would a 14" long rope perch, a 9.5" tall toy, a 12" tall toy, a 5" tall toy, and a 6" long perch be too much?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, DisIsAbyss

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
In my experience, you can never have too many toys with lovebirds. Mine love shredding things and have play stations both in and out of their cages.

You should get your bird a swing, along with a cuttlebone and mineral block to keep your bird healthy. All my lovies also love bells and things they can toss around.

There are also foraging toys. I like taking newspaper or cupcake wrappers, putting treats inside and balling it up for them. The paper wrappers from sushi sticks are also fun for them to rip through.

What kind of wood perch are you getting? If it's a smooth wooden dowel, they're really bad on their feet and can cause arthritis and bumblefoot.

DisIsAbyss

Moving in
Thanks for the information. The perch is a cement perch - smooth on top, rough on the bottom. I may also just keep one of the two wood dowels. Will that work? I have the cuttlebone and mineral block, too. I'll look into a swing, as well. I'm just worried about too much space being taken up and my bird not being able to fly around. I also might get the little cat toys with a ball inside because I've heard that people's Lovebirds like them. ( Btw this is my first ever bird )

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Would love to see pics of your setup. I’m a big fan of side mounting toys because they save valuable cage space.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The bigger the cage, the better. You can never have enough toys. Ditch the dowel rods. Get some natural wood perches (manzanita, java tree, dragonwood, grapewood, etc), a couple of rope perches, some platforms.

Swings are nice, I like boings for out of the cage. Make sure you provide lots of foraging opportunities. Get a playstand or two.

Length of a toy doesn't matter, it's what it consists of that counts.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Thanks for the information. The perch is a cement perch - smooth on top, rough on the bottom. I may also just keep one of the two wood dowels. Will that work? I have the cuttlebone and mineral block, too. I'll look into a swing, as well. I'm just worried about too much space being taken up and my bird not being able to fly around. I also might get the little cat toys with a ball inside because I've heard that people's Lovebirds like them. ( Btw this is my first ever bird )
I really wouldn't go for the dowel rods, tbh. It would just be better to go into your yard and get a herbicide and pesticide-free bird-safe tree limb. Branch perches are simple and easy to make, gives them bark to chew on, and you won't be throwing your money at something that will hurt your bird's feet. They're also less expensive and sturdier, imho.

Here's a list of bird safe wood and here's a DIY guide to making perches.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I sadly don't have any safe woods in my backyard.
Lots of pet stores have natural perches, even petco and petsmart. Or you can check out our vendors, I know TNT bird toys sells them, as does Tweety Pies and Perches 4 Change.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Agreed, you can never have too Many toys! I would defiantly add more then you listed, I would try to get at least one shredder with paper/Palm like material, something with wood, something to preen and cuddle with, Some foraging toys, a Bell, something they can move around, a toy basket with foot toys etc.:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My lovebird customers LOVE balsa, shred paper, palm, cupcake papers, etc :) A lot also like plastic tidbits and snappy beads. Take a look at my shop for some inspiration :)

www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com

And remember that the toys that last forever are usually boring :lol: Destruction is where it's at! I am also a huge fan of foraging.

Be careful with the cat balls. The jingle bells are not safe as they contain zinc, the beak can get stuck in the bell, or if they get the ball inside the bell out they can swallow it.

DisIsAbyss

Moving in
Quick update!

Cage size is being upped to 25 by 21 by 29.5! Yeeeeey!!!!!!! :fairy2: