• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello, I'm looking to get a new hand reared parrot to tame and train. I have done almost a year of research and my top candidates are a Senegal parrot, moustache parakeet, plum headed parakeet, red bellied parrot, caique, conures (green cheek, matron bellied, catus). If anyone has any experience or advice on those parrots please let me know. I'm looking for a fairly quiet, sociable bird that's not too messy. I know the individual birds will be different but I'm looking at a general overview of each species. I'm not at home for about 6 hours a day, mon-fri but have someone home the majority of the week. I have had experiences with birds in the past and own 2 budgies. Many thanks.

Luvss2ride

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynn
I have a plum-head parakeet
This is Annie
20161220_192839.jpg

From what I've learned... they don't like to be touched and aren't especially snuggly ..... and Annie fits that. She can come to me and snuggle on me .... but I can't touch her (she makes little gurgly noises....lol)

But over all these months, she gets a wee bit better .....
But I adore her!

Personally, if you want to train.... go with a quaker. I have 2 .... love love them!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! (All birds are messy. : ) )

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
my pionus is quiet & not as messy as the other birds
My conure is loud & messy
My cockatiel is quiet but very messy

Good luck & welcome to the group.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome too AA.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Hello, I'm looking to get a new hand reared parrot to tame and train.
Sorry, but if you have done as much research as you say you have you will already know that a hand fed baby will not need much in the 'taming' department. As far as the 'training' end goes, that will be a lifetime seeing they will be constantly training us day in and day out. :rofl:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:smileflower:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I don't have one, but I think Red Bellied Parrots sound like great little parrots. But it sounds like conures tend to be more touchable - I do love those blue crowned conures. Have fun choosing!!

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
All birds are messy :)
I love the look of all those birds but especially the moustache and GCC. Moustaches are great talkers with excellent colouration and I have considered one myself, the only reason I haven't rushed out to get one yet is because they are generally not cuddly birds and have loud high pitched voices. I would prefer a cuddlier bird, like the GCC, who is super cuddly with a big personality.

FlockOTiels

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniela-Djen B. Huffman
if you were to go along the lines of quiet and not so messy, I would to pick between a cockatiel:tieln: and a green cheek conure:gcc1: they are probably the best choices
pros and cons of cockatiels
pros
sweet( if hand raised) small, over all quiet(as long as it doesn't want anything) pretty and much more
cons
I can't really think of any but-my male can get to an ear piercing screech maybe once a day(but it is usually because it is looking for its baby and mate) sometimes can fling food(parrots are like 2 year old for 30 years:lol:) but they are over all amazing pets

gcc
pros
generally quiet, good apartment pets, easily trainable(can come in handy for cleanliness) super affectionate, calm
cons
can pack a Nast bite can have a loud screech

I would absolutely hands down get a caique if I had the money, they are absolute clowns and lovelies:bhc::wbc:
I hope this helps!!
good luck!!

:tieln:King
:pearl:Coco
:tieln:Bear(baby)

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for the advice. It was much appreciated and it will help me to decide. I'll let you know what I finally get. Thank you

Rolanda

I have a Mustache. He's 8 months old now. He's a sweet bird. He is a hand raised baby. He will take a bit of time to train and certainly lets you know if he doesn't like something. He has learned to say "HI", and has chosen my 8 year-old as his Person, but listens to me as MOM. He calls for my son and relishes interaction with him. When my son can't get him to Step Up or anything else he listens to me. He is not particularly loud nor shrill or particularly annoying. I think they are great birds however I would not say they are a good beginner bird as they would do best with structured training.