• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a new dog?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I agree with the endorsement of herding and livestock guardians. I've had only dogs from these 2 categories for many years now, and I have really strong trust of them around my birds. I do a lot of training when they are young of course, but these guys are about nurturing their charges, and will do so reliably with good training. I've actually had this very argument on a facebook page once... people who haven't had these breeds are very reluctant to understand their reliability.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Dachshunds are definitely sight hounds! Don't let anyone fool you otherwise. I was very lucky with Brie because she was so submissive and really cared about what I thought. Won't be the case for all of them. Brie was great with pets in the home. They are a wonderful breed. I think the biggest thing, with any dog for that matter, is proper exercise. Dachshunds are hunters and have the endurance to go on long walks and adventures. Some people don't work them... and they become overweight couch potatoes that can develop many issues. A tired dog is a good dog.

Yeah I think I should scratch Iggy off my list. I have always had a soft spot for them.. always! But I have also always had small companion animals, so think I would be playing with fire.

I have never been a fan of retrieving dogs. Just my own prejudice, but I don't really seem to understand their motivation or thought process. I worry about shepherds because sometimes they can be a bit manic. My sheepdog growing up was a perfect calm and sweet, but her brother was so focused on herding and he was obsessive. The people who had him kept him with horses and he ran around the paddock so much that the ground was worn into gullies. These were sibling dogs from the same bloodlines.

Yorkies or any ratter would defiantly be risky.

I think we might be leaning toward chihuahua. The long-haired ones are really cute. I think I like 'deer head' from what I have read, seems odd that 'apple head' is the more desired look. I think they have a bad reputation as a breed. Though I think this stems from poor exercise and training. Dogs need to be dogs. Well worked chihuahaus seem to have low prey drive and seem to be very mastiff like in their demeanor in terms of protecting the home. I also like a loyal dog. Couldn't beat the relationship I had with Brie, she was glued to me. Eric is also very keen on the compact size, even a large chihuahua is a small dog. They seem to be sensitive dogs though, who may be reactive to a parrotlet flying off.. though it would be easier to confine a smaller dog.

Does anyone have a chihuahua? Hopefully a Chihuahua that gets does get the training and exercise needed.
Yea I agree with that one. Many years ago we had two dachshunds at one time, they were good with the birds, or so we thought. I
We were moving house to a new one half hour away. We were on our last loads, and we're to come back for birds and dogs. Since the birds were in their cages they would be fine.
WRONG!!! When we came back for birds and dog, one of the cages was literally knocked over. And Julius was no where to be found. My wife found him in the dog bed...half eaten!!! I beat myself up silly for such a stupid mistake. You wouldn't think a dachshund could knock a cage over and bust in. Think again. They're persistant.
one very valuable lesson learned.
Now I have the perfect dog. I feel relaxed and happy again!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have been avoiding the 'Bark Park' but I am getting the courage to come snoop. Lost two of my girls within the span of a year.

I am an animal lover of fins, feathers and fur. I am also a dog lover.

I grew up with an Old English Sheepdog... and I think she was a more caring and better parent than my actual parents. She passed at 12. I also adopted 4 elderly senior huskies when I was in high school, they were very old dogs and in 4 years they passed on. They needed to come together.. they were all buddies.

When I moved out of my parents I got my dog Paige she was an American Staffordshire Terrier. She was an Epic dog. Seriously.. they whole package. She loved everyone, but was especially bonded to me and my furry family..oh and Eric of course. She was very great with children.. which always made me laugh since I was never around children and I haven't had nor will have children. She was very gentle in the home. Once my friendly mouse got out and walked up to her. She calmly laid their with a mouse on her face. Clearly.. I would NEVER let them play together EVER. This was an unexpected escape adventure. Paige was a bit nutty outside though. We played and hiked and played.. She swam almost everyday in the summer. I think this is part of why she was SUCH a handful on outdoor adventures. It was all intense and fun.

When Paige was nearly 4 we added another dog to our home, Brie. Brie was a miniature dachshund. She had a more shaky start. She had a hard time eating when she was little. She needed vet care because of her pancreas. She ended up being a more sensitive dog also submissive. Brie was also the most loyal dog I have ever had. We always joked that if I robber came in...Paige would lick their faces with joy for making a new friend and Brie would get punted away. Brie was also very adventurous and loved swimming. She just wasn't a fan of ANYONE new. She was very sweet with other indoor animals however. She loved cats. She also ended up getting along very well with the chickens, which was not instant. We had to train her not to pursue. This did pay off and she was actually the bottom hen. The other hens would always peck her head when she walked by. They were very compatible...a dachshund submitting to a chicken.. not an expected outcome for the breed.

My dogs have traveled the world with me. When I get a companion it is for keeps. Paige passed away about one year ago today. She was 13, she had a heart attack and it was a very quick and peaceful passing. She lived well and hard. She fooled vets because you could never peg her age just by seeing her. She was fit and healthy her whole life. I noticed the arthritis.. but she was such a good sport and never would let anyone else know. When I lost her.. I was empty.. My partner too.. we cried for days. I mean.. I am still crying when I think of her. But we had, Brie, everything would be ok.

Well Brie was approaching 10. She started taking a turn for the worse. She got very bad pancreatitis and this time she didn't recover. Her pancreases ruptured. My little adventurous sausage.. who hiked the Mojave with me, who swam in almost every major body of salt water and 3 of the great lakes. She died.. this shattered me. Paige was hard.. but Paige was 13 and we knew that time was coming. We were hoping for 6 more years with Brie give or take. Also it was such a horrible and painful way to go. My poor little Brie B. She passed away in October 2018.

So now I don't have a dog. The first time in my life. I am so worried about getting another dog. We are planning on waiting a few years. Maybe 1-2 years? I am definitely only tentatively ready to even toss the idea around.

My other dogs worked well with my companion animals. My cockatoo was very bonded to Paige. They didn't physically interact, but Peanut would call her and Paige loved all the free snacks. Brie was very easy.. mostly just a snuggle bug. Now that that story is out there..

My partner doesn't want another larger dog. He found working with Brie much easier. We are so lost about what the next dog could be.

I have a long history of attraction for Italian greyhounds. Does anyone have experiences to share with this breed and their birds? I am aware of the prey drive, but I am just curious of other encounters.

We are also thinking of a chihuahua.

Minature coated xoloitzcuintli.

Old English Sheepdog (one in the large category)

____

Please share other dog and bird cohabitation stories if you want to also. These are just the breeds we are thinking about. Also I do have experience volunteering at dog rescues. I am not anti-adoption, but that doesn't mean I am not interested in stories about the above breeds and others.

Thank you for reading my story and sharing yours :) I have thumnailed a few pictures of my girls. Including the first day they met.

IMG_20181028_154201.jpg IMG_20190401_204353.jpg IMG_20190409_141351.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with the endorsement of herding and livestock guardians. I've had only dogs from these 2 categories for many years now, and I have really strong trust of them around my birds. I do a lot of training when they are young of course, but these guys are about nurturing their charges, and will do so reliably with good training. I've actually had this very argument on a facebook page once... people who haven't had these breeds are very reluctant to understand their reliability.
I grew up with an Old English Sheepdog, reliable is an understatement. I think they are hiding a clock somewhere in that fluff. I have tossed around the idea of getting another sheepdog. The biggest issue there is the size. My partner would prefer it if we got a another small dog. I have looked into PON (Polski Owczarek Nizinny). I do live in Australia which makes access to some breeds more difficult. It also isn't uncommon for dogs to cost $2000 or $4000 aud. Everything is still up in the air. Sheepdogs can also be reliably obsessive so I would disagree that shepard / herding are best by default. You need to know how to work with the breeds. Borders collies actually have intense prey drive, which is how they use them for herding. They have self control and respect the handlers commands, but in their minds they are hunting.

I will keep a sheep dog in mind still, who knows what will happen :) Someday I will find out where they keep their watch!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Hawk12237 You have a very cute pup! I am so sorry your dachshunds got into trouble together. That must have been a very hard sight to come home to. :sadhug2:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well today we made the choice to meet a pup. It wasn't the first one. We didn't feel right about some of the people, so kept looking..

But everyone, please met Gimli! I am in a weird emotional place right now. I can't help but miss my dogs, I don't want to feel like I am replacing them. Gimli is a little fluffy ball of light. We bring him home the first week of December. I can visit him as much as I want until then. Luckily the household that bred him also keeps chickens and cockatiels. He has already met birdies (within reason) and he will be more adjusted to my lifestyle. I am more worried about how to prepare my birds for this change.

IMG_7468.JPG

He is already in love with dad.

IMG_7451.JPG

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So cute! Gimli has Riley's vote of approval!
RileysFace.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@greys4u You can see a few more pictures of Gimli here from when we first met him :D