• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a flighted bird back in their cage?

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
Hello!
Recently, Sunny has grown in all of her flight feathers, and I’m choosing to not clip them for her health/enjoyment. However, because she has her flight feathers and she’s very bonded to me, she refuses now to go back in her cage when I need to leave the room. Whenever I try to put her in her cage, she simply flies off my finger and avoids stepping up/staying on my finger by continuing to fly away from me. It’s very frustrating, and it usually take me about 15 minutes of attempts before she finally gives in and goes in her cage. Does anyone have an idea of how I could quickly get her into her cage without having to chase her around/force her in? I’d really hate to have to clip her wings again, for she enjoys flying very much.
(Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this sort of question, or if my wording isn’t good.)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Is Sunny "Step Up" on command trained? Bribery might work, like placing favorite treats in the cage. Or for emergency measures, there's always the towel!

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
Sunny is mostly “step-up” trained, though I guess I could work with her a bit more on that. Bribery has worked successfully in the past, but now she sees right through the bribery and doesn’t fall for it!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Other than a few treats in your pocket keep all food in the cage. Once she realises that she needs to go in the cage to eat she will go by herself when she gets hungry. This only works if you have patience and a few hours - no good if you're in a rush to go out.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
With Edgar I do like this: I ask him to step up, on the palm of my other hand I have sunflower seeds (3 or 4 seeds). While stepped up, he eats the seeds and I move quick but stable and put him to his cage. He sits on his perch automatically. If not, I gently push with my thumb one of his legs to the perch. Another leg follows on itself. Then I let him finish the seeds (if he didn't finish them during the transition) and close the cage. And prize him of course.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I refill bowls at night. Everyone gets two nutriberries in their bowl. They start complaining if we go too late. Tosh is getting a bit bratty about bedtime and she isn't tame.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When my cockatiel lived in a cage, I used millet as a cage only treat. It made going back in a happier experience. With Elvis, part of it is routine. He goes back in by himself when he sees me getting ready to leave for work, etc. And then also praise. He loves to be praised. So I always make a big deal about how good he is for going back in his cage. For him, it works better than treats.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I give nutriberries at bed time to help encourage Jenks to go back. He always gets two before bed so most of the time it isn't a problem because he really really wants them. I tell him its time to go nite nite and most of the time he heads that way to get his fix for the night.:lol:If I am not quick enough with the bag he will stand on his cage door and stare me down until I put them in his bowl. Does Sunny have an absolute favorite treat or fruit that she can't live with out? You could save that treat for going back into the cage only.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Does she have any place of her own to play when out of the cage? You could work on that and add a play stand for her. That way it adds to her fun when out of the cage and she may be less interested in the room per say and more willing to return to her home in cage.

One other suggestion is to leave the room when she is out of the cage (if the room has been made bird safe) for a short period of time and then come back in and try to get her to step up or step up on a perch with the bribe in your hand to be placed or fly back into cage. What kind of cage do you have for her? May we see a photo?

ratgirl

Strolling the yard
Going back into the cage when requested is an important behavior to have. I *always* pay for that behavior, and for most birds, that means a food treat of some kind.

You have to look at it from the bird's point of view. If going back into the cage always leads to an end to their fun, they won't want to go back. Take a critical look at the cage, what kind of activities it has, and why would the bird enjoy spending time in there?

I practice that skill at times when I'm going to be home, and don't need to leave. With a bird that already is unlikely to want to go in, I will show a treat, like a bribe, to get them to step down. I give them the treat, shut the door, wait for them to eat it, then let them back out. Repeat as many times as you can throughout the day. When they no longer hesitate, don't show the treat before you put them in, but give it to them immediately after.

Once they are going in eagerly, start varying the time they stay in before you open the door. Stay in the room, talk to them, maybe visit and head scratch through the bars, then let them out. Repeat, frequently, varying the time they are in, then start leaving the room for short periods, etc.

I still periodically practice this. I will spend time in the room with them, inside their cages, periodically interacting with them while they are in the cage. You can do short training sessions, just talk to them, etc. Try to make going into the cage something fun!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I was having trouble with this but I was also giving her treats while she was out so she never wanted to go back in. Now she gets no treats while out, unless we're clicker training, and I offer her a Nutriberry when she goes back in. I'm well acquainted with the sudden fly off! Sometimes I'll lightly put my hand on her back for just a second as I put her back. Whatever you do, stay calm, I swear my lovebird loves to watch me get frustrated! So if she's being stubborn I just ignore her for a few seconds and she's back in my business. We have a good routine now, so I think it's a matter of you both figuring out how to do it.