• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting a cockatiel to eat veggies

Olliedust

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Oliver
Hello! :] so I got a new cockatiel few days ago and he is such a sweet boy! But there's one problem,hes eating the pellets and seeds but he won't eat any fruits or vegetables :/ I tried to serve it in different ways,mix it with pellets,showing him that I'm "eating" that but nothing is working :/ he tried to taste it once but that's it..
Any suggestions?
*by the way so for my bad English*

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Birds that were not raised eating fruits and vegetables can take a while to begin eating them. Unfortunately, it is a process that takes time. Just keep giving them to him, and trying the methods that you are, and eventually he will try them.

hope86

Sitting on the front steps
I'm having a hard time too but so far have had success with the following:

I shredded zucchini and carrots very finely (on a Parmesan cheese grater) and mixed them them with their seeds. The seeds stick to the damp veggies so they don't have a choice but to get some veggies in ;)

So far they either hate or are scared of fruit but they'll pick on shelled peas and they like to chew on parsley (with the stem).

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I like @hope86 advice! Many tiels like broccoli, so I would start with that. You also might want to try leafy greens like kale, cilantro, and romaine lettuce. Just keep trying different ways of presenting them, and don't give up!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I agree with @Tiel Feathers ; try presenting them in different ways - shredded carrots instead of diced carrots...try putting some veggies on a skewer...a piece of broccoli, some romaine, some pepper pieces, pea pods, etc.

Olliedust

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Oliver
I tried to give him some greens today,and he kind of liked it! :]
But for some reason it's not like an actual "eating"
He is chewing it and then he puts it on the side of his beak..? I'm not sure how to explain it ;-; like he doesn't know how to eat it

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
At least he tried it! Now he might adventure on to new foods. Many times my birds mostly seem to suck the juice out of the greens, so all that's left are these sad little limp pieces left.

Avıı

Moving in
Real Name
Avi
I have the same problem with my cockatiel. We got her from a breeder, she used to eat veggies. By her 3rd month we had her, her diet started going backwards. At first she ate veggies but then less and less. i feed her spinach, carrot, kale and tried to get her to eat apple. She used to love spinach, now she nibbles on it once or twice and she's done, same with everything else. Also taught her to eat pellets, but she only eats them from hand one by one.
I tried so much: pretending to eat, mixing with seeds, presenting foods in different ways, even tried scheduled feeding where I only offered her seeds in mornings and afternoons and in between only greens and pellets. Their untouched by evening and she can even eat her poo time to time if she doesn't find any seeds in cage. Did I mess up? Why ;-; She full on rejects greens. I'm afraid of starving her to death.
She's about half a year so I still have some hope left in me.
Anyone have any more suggestions?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Try sprouted seeds. If they start eating sprouted seeds (with small tails), then you can start mixing in one or two vegetables that have been finely chopped. The more comfortable your bird gets with eating this, the more vegetables you can mix in.