• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a bird

Beatrice1133

Moving in
Hello everyone! I’m really new to this forum, so I apologize if this isn’t in the right spot, but I am considering getting my first bird and need some advice on whether a bird would be the right pet for me. Some of the things that have been making me question a bird is i’m at school for about 7 hours a day. I could spend about 4-5 hours a day interacting and playing with my bird, but would they be okay while I am gone all day? Also, I already have a cat. She is quite fat and lazy, and I don’t think she would have the inspiration to harm a bird, but would her being in the house cause stress for both her and the bird? While I am not home, I have a room where the bird could stay, which my cat can’t get into and when I am home I can supervise both of them to ensure nothing happens. Also, my family, while not against getting a bird, doesn’t want a bird that will be loud early in the morning (earlier than 7). Loud noises during the day would be fine. So, if you think a bird would be okay, what species would you recommend? I’m looking for something playful, affectionate and not too large. Any advice?
Sorry that this is so long!
~ Beatrice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t really have advice for you but I did want to say :welcomeflag:

If you are young you may wish to consider the changes of your lifestyle as you get older.... you may not have the same free time.
Owning birds is quite different to owning dogs and cats and will require a fair bit more of your time if you truely want a happy healthy bird. There will be many changes to your everyday living and things you use to ensure your bird is safe.

Have a good read through the threads here of the good the bad and the ugly and you may get an idea of whether a bird is right for you at this time :)

Enjoy being here, it’s a fantastic community!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I'm guessing you're in almost the same situation as me (except your family is fine with the idea of getting a bird). I basically have the same schedule as you too! Well, anyway, since your family doesn't mind loud noises in the day, I'd say a budgie. You can also consider a lovebird or a lineolated parakeet (though they're a lot harder to find making their price range from $125-$300ish). You have to consider the lifespan too which is something I'm struggling to find a solution for. Budgie's lifespans can be pretty long if you take good care of them. Those budgies who are unhealthy (both physically and mentally) could possibly die at only 5 years old. I searched up the oldest budgie actually lived to 29 years old! Most lifespans only range from 5-12 or even 15 years. (Sorry if you already know this information lol). If you have a cat, I suggest you get a cage on a stand (preferably with wheels so it's easier to move around) so that your cat can't reach your bird as easily. This is all I have so far, welcome to the forum though! Enjoy your time here! :welcomeavenue:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome! :)

I would say a cockatiel but I am bias when it comes to those little guys. A cocktiel is a hardier bird than a parakeet and lives longer. They can be loud at times with the males having a penchant for talking.

I don't remember my tiels really making a ruckus before seven in the morning, and I know my U2 doesn't usually get vocal before 10.

Kitties are naturally inclined to be curious when it comes to birds. I had a bird in my fireplace this morning and all of the cats were off in other parts of the house. However, the moment I started to free the bird, a large feline audience appeared.

Just use common sense and you should be fine.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Beatrice :fairy2:

, I'd say a budgie
Budgies are best kept in pairs.

I would say a cockatiel
A female Tiel is a good suggestion.

As is a male lovebird :) - but I´m also biased :lol:

doesn’t want a bird that will be loud early in the morning (earlier than 7). Loud noises during the day would be fine.
If you cover the bird at night it can sometimes curb any morning singing or calls.

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
Hi Beatrice! :welcome2:
I don't think anyone can fully prepare themselves for their first bird!

Firstly, you need to think about the 'long run'. I know for me, in my last two years of High School I was flat strap, had no time for friends or to even walk my dog because the pressure was real. You then need to think of after school and the job you may get. How much money will you have to be able to care for this bird (they're more expensive than you think!), having to go to the vets, buy food, a decent cage and toys... Secondly, you really need to think of why you want this bird (because no one really needs a bird, it's always a want). You said you would like one that is playful and affectionate. Now, they're definitely all playful but it might not be playful directly with you. It may not want to be affectionate with you either. That's where I think animals get neglected in some sense, because they grow into something that wasn't your expectation.

I know it all sounds negative but they're things that people don't consider because their desire to have a cute, cuddly pet is bigger than the animal's actual needs and desires.

Really take your time in making your decision, do heaps of research and keep asking questions on this forum. If the idea of caring for a bird never leaves your mind, go for it!

Kito

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It sounds like you're already thinking through the important things! Your bird would definitely be okay while you're at school. I'll just add that when I was 15, I got a parrot. I still have him over a decade later, but it's really difficult sometimes. If you like to travel or have an active lifestyle outside the house, it's tough to balance having a bird. I'd think hard about what you want life after school to look like and consider the average life expectancy of the kind of bird you're interested in.

Best of luck :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, finches, canary-winged parakeets could all be good fits. But all birds are loud to a degree and there is no controlling what time a bird is going to start making noise. Also, birds really are family pets. Meaning everyone has to be willing to make adjustments- no Teflon pans, no candles, air fresheners, strong cleaning products, etc. Also, if you're still in school, thought needs to be given as to what you're going to do when you graduate. A lot of birds end up getting rehomed when the child/teen goes away and the parents don't want to take care of him/her.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Welcome! I agree with most the people on this thread, a budgie (preferably a pair) a teil, or a lovebird if you're up for a bit of a challenge. Also, think 10 years down the road will you still have one on one time for the bird? Other than that my advice is to do research, research, research. Good luck with your decision!:D