• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a bird to accept treats from hands

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
So my lovie that I have had for roughly 2 weeks currently won't eat any treats besides chopped walnuts and almonds and she will only eat them if they are in her food dish. I tried using millet and giving it through the bars since shes kinda hand shy but she straight up refuses millet unless it's in her seed mix.

my main questions are this:

1. how can I entice her to eat from my hand apart from just offering it in my hand before her breakfast?
2. what do you use for training treats?
3. Have I just not found the treat that she would move mountains to get?

Im vaguely baffled since I have never had birds even hand shy birds not accept treats that they love from my hands especially millet lol.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Any type of treat that she really loves can be used as a training treat. I would start offering it on a spoon however, since that will get her taking the treat from you rather than a dish, and then work up to the hand. Also 2 weeks isn't very long in a birds eyes. It on average will take 6-8 weeks for them to become comfortable in their new home, with some it can take longer. Try different types of spoons also, you never know which one might be the ticket ;)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I second the spoon idea, right now it sounds like she’s figured out if she just waits, her treat is deposited into her food dish. I offer a treat, wait, no? okay..then put aside the treat to try again later. That way we’re interacting through the treats and bird friend isn’t just waiting for me to leave :lol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you really want to use millet, such as millet sprigs, then break off a nub here or there from the sprig and leave it in the dish. Allow her to get used to the idea of eating it that way before reintroducing it through the cage bars as an entire sprig.