1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Get bird out of cage

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by OpalRaven, 7/7/18.

1. OpalRaven

OpalRaven Meeting neighbors

Hi! I have had Barbossa for a month now. He still will not come out of his cage though. I was able to lure him out twice with food but the 2nd time ended up biting me :sad4: so I have not tried luring him out again. I open the door to his cage consistantly and just hang out but no interest from him in leaving his cage. I don't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to but I feel soo bad that he has made himself cage bound essentially. Any tips on showing him he can come out by himself??

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    I usually just put a perch and food bowl on the door, keep the cage door open all day, and drop in a treat when I walk past. Being on the door is the gateway to coming out more in my experience! You can also try putting a perch and bowl on the outside of the cage that they have to climb out to get to. Another thing that helps is having a perch in sight across the room (boing, atom, playstand, etc) that they know they can fly to.

Tiel Feathers and Clueless like this.
  3. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

No rush. Give him time.

A member on here adopted a grey and I think I read some posts where he would only leave his cage at night.

Anyway, she changed his name and this was one of her threads about him. It's okay to take time. We have no clue what they endured in their past lives.

Qurantine is over- Time to meet and greet | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

This member isn't on the avenue any longer. She became very ill (lung issues) and had to rehome her beloved birds. Her heart was broken.

4. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I posted that thread because it mentions rolling a playstand next to the cage.

That's actually what I do for MC.

Tiel Feathers likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)