• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gendered tiels

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morten Kjeldgaard Christensen
I have what i pressume are brothers as i was told they are. But im not quite sure if they are both male. One of them are displaying what forums and sites are describing as 'mostly female behaviour but men do it sometimes'' He does that alot. My question is. Should i get them gendered ? I am more worried about inbreading and then having to deal with that afterwards! Do tiels inbread if they have the chance ? My tiels are from January 12th so they are not mature yet

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Yes cockatiels will inbreed. if you are referring to the behaviour such as hunching over with the tail usually slightly raised along with chirps there is a 99.99% chance it's female (I have yet to see/hear of a male do this myself). You can keep opposite genders together and work on discouraging this behavior by increasing night time to 12 hours of darkness, making sure there is nothing that can be seen as a nest (cosy/happy hut, boxes or even dark corners) and rearranging their cage often

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Can you post pictures? A lot of cockatiels can be sexed based on appearance:)
When to males bond, one can display female behavior in the couple.

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yes cockatiels will inbreed. if you are referring to the behaviour such as hunching over with the tail usually slightly raised along with chirps there is a 99.99% chance it's female (I have yet to see/hear of a male do this myself). You can keep opposite genders together and work on discouraging this behavior by increasing night time to 12 hours of darkness, making sure there is nothing that can be seen as a nest (cosy/happy hut, boxes or even dark corners) and rearranging their cage often
For the most part in talking about hanging or attempting to hang, upside down with wings spread and tail spread! I read that its mostly females who do that!

Can you post pictures? A lot of cockatiels can be sexed based on appearance:)
When to males bond, one can display female behavior in the couple.
I will post alotta pictures right now! D5046EF0-3EA9-4703-8702-BC513F1C37DA.jpeg
This is my tiels in their “bed” this is where they prefer sleeping 70C720F9-9EDF-43F0-9EED-516801DD3774.jpeg 0ECC9B09-A07F-4883-801D-B96C544B9891.jpeg EB4BA7F4-1039-41E2-BDE5-0D344B0E2044.jpeg E90CD63A-18D4-4C99-A2D9-376AF04C77A9.jpeg
Hugo on the left (light beak, yellower face and brighter red cheeks) Eigil in the right (dark beak, darker yellow and darker red cheeks) CF54B156-CCBD-4C75-9597-4F7E3A327445.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They are so cute! They look like two girls, how old were they again? I thought they had their ‘big’ molt at 8 months(could be wrong) and then they should get their permanent colors. So if they are younger then that you can’t Tell yet, but if they already had that molt you have two very pretty girls!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@TikiMyn Molt anywhere from 8-12 months.

They are young yet. Color is still coming in. They look like girls to me too...Do they sing, or wolf whistle? In general the males sing and the females mainly chirp.

Let me see if I have a pic of my gray female...

@Monica @Tiel Feathers can you help?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here is my female, Torrie.

C65F61E0-7A3E-4E4D-90E3-36FF19E04657.jpeg

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
@TikiMyn Molt anywhere from 8-12 months.

They are young yet. Color is still coming in. They look like girls to me too...Do they sing, or wolf whistle? In general the males sing and the females mainly chirp.

Let me see if I have a pic of my gray female...

@Monica @Tiel Feathers can you help?

They dont really sing, They mostly just chirp if they make any sounds. Or call for eachother if they are at the other end of the room

Just for clearyfication they are from January 12th. So they are not old enough to be even remotly mature

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Forældre tiels.jpg Foreældre tiels.jpg
this is Mama And Papa. Yellow head white body is mom, The other is dad. I will get pics of them, Do you need to see their wings spread out ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No need to quote! :) (at least not for me!)

So with the parents being as they are, the mother is a lutino and father is a normal grey. (as far as I can tell). There is no way to visually sex the offspring since all babies born will be normal greys. Males will also be split lutino.

If the parent's mutations were swapped, then all greys born would be males split lutino, and females would be lutino.

So the answer would be yes to those wing photos! ;)

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
No need to quote! :) (at least not for me!)

So with the parents being as they are, the mother is a lutino and father is a normal grey. (as far as I can tell). There is no way to visually sex the offspring since all babies born will be normal greys. Males will also be split lutino.

If the parent's mutations were swapped, then all greys born would be males split lutino, and females would be lutino.

So the answer would be yes to those wing photos! ;)

How do i take those pictures and spaare them the most ? Is it just grab them and spread their wings ? They are comfortable enough with hands so they dont bite if they get grabbed. They just dont wonna get grabbed

Pip's Owner

Meeting neighbors
A picture of their wings would be helpful, but if they won't let you spread their wings, take a picture of their tail feathers. A female cockatiel's usually has stripes/bars on the underside of the tail. This would give you a good idea of the gender, although a DNA test would be the only way to know for sure.

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Are wing pictures and their tail feathers a dead give away ?
Even when they are just like 3½ months old or so ?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I thought tail feathers were all the same until after molt.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Tanya, you are correct. A picture of tail feathers of chicks at a young age means nothing... I have a picture of a DNA sexed male lutino cockatiel under a black light - and he has all the female markings aka markings of a young cockatiel!

At this age, the only way to sex them is via their wings *OR* behavior. No, it's not really easy to get wing photos unless you have someone who could help you...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Morten, you could show us a video. If we could hear the sounds they make that might help.

Morten

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morten, you could show us a video. If we could hear the sounds they make that might help.
They dont really make that much sound. They are quiet for the most part! Honestly surprised at how quiet they are most the time ! I can try when i get off of work today :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Haha lots of people would love to have quiet tiels!