• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCCs at low weight

ConureTrickster

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jay
So Neuroticcuriosity and I just lost our little cockatiel last night from unknown circumstances. All we know is that she was very skinny/bony.
She ate up until the last few hours of her life.
She was active and sociable.
It was very left field.
Our two GCCs seem to be their usual selves but I just weighed one (the other won't let me handle him like that) and he's only between 50-55 grams. That's 20 grams less than his last checkup and he feels bony.
They've been eating just as much as before, but they've been on a seed diet and bird-safe food from our plates (for the past five days otherwise it's pellets) while we waited for food in the mail.

Could it be the food? What should I do?
They're seeing the vet on Wednesday but I could possibly get them in tomorrow.
They're acting fine, but so was our other fid before she passed.

I feel so stupid for not seeing it until now... if I had known...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
call your vet Asap

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for the loss of your 'tiel. Good that you are going to the vet. 20 gms is a lot of weight loss and the fact that you just lost a 'tiel it's best to get your gccs in ASAP and have them both thoroughly checked. Hope all will go well at the vet's. Are you having the 'tiel necropsied?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So Neuroticcuriosity and I just lost our little cockatiel last night from unknown circumstances. All we know is that she was very skinny/bony.
It was very left field.
Our two GCCs seem to be their usual selves but I just weighed one (the other won't let me handle him like that) and he's only between 50-55 grams. That's 20 grams less than his last checkup and he feels bony.
They've been eating just as much as before, but they've been on a seed diet and bird-safe food from our plates (for the past five days otherwise it's pellets) while we waited for food in the mail.

I really hope the emergency vet is qualified to help espec since he did not seem concerned.

They need to be checked out from a qualified vet & not have time wasted with one who is not knowledgeable as it will end up wasting time to get them in a good vets care.

20 gram loss is not good & your other bird just died so they need to be seen ASAP.

I see you are on route to a vet?

Hopefully they get the right care tight away & don't sit unattended to all night with a emergency vet who does not know about birds.

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
20 grams is very serious weight loss. Can you get some almond butter, walnuts, pistachios and perhaps some hand feeding formula? You need to get that weight up no matter what the vet says. But yes, vet check is needed

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How scary, I hope they are okay! I'm so sorry about your tiel. I will be keeping your birdies in my thoughts...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hoping for the best care for your flock.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please let us know what the vet says.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Any updates?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It was very left field.

Feed them whatever their favourite food is at this point - you want their weight to increase asap. I have a tiel who was in hospital for 2 weeks and her weight had dropped. The vet told me to bring in any of her favourite food, no matter what it was (sunflower seed, etc - obviously nothing life endangering) because if she didn't bring her weight up they'd have to gavage her (force feed). Whatever seed your fids like the most, give it to them. Whatever rice, veggies, pasta, chop, millett.

ConureTrickster

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jay
Sorry I didn't update, it's been a crazy few days...
Brought the boys to the vet and they stayed overnight. Apparently my scale was wrong and my brain was over thinking Arya's bony-Ness. He's perfectly fine.
They did answer my questions about Thorin's falling off his perches and being clumsy.
He'said hypersexual and bonded with my other male bird and it's causing his... testicles... to swell. And that's pushing up against his siatic nerve causing him to be clumsy.

The vet also hypothesized why Minerva died. She thinks that the worm we treated Minerva for 6 months ago gave a false negative after treatment. She kept eating normal but wasn't getting the nutrients because of the intestinal worm. It's really sad but it's not viral or anything so our boys should be safe.

Thanks for all the replies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad your gccs are OK. Hypersexual....that's an interesting diagnosis.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad your birdies are okay. :)