• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Won't Poop in his Cage!

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
He poops just fine where ever he is outside of the cage...But when he is inside his cage he holds it in. I've gone out for 2-3 hours after having just cleaned his cage, and come back with nothing there. then as soon as I take him out he lets a big one plop out lol. I guess if he just can't take it anymore while inside he goes (when I get home from work there's poop on the bottom of the cage) but other than that he just won't go unless he is out of the cage! I don't mind cleaning up his poop, it's a part of having a bird, but I worry about how it could affect his health :(. I don't believe I've done anything to provoke this. I just want him to be comfortable and be healthy and go when ever he feels like. This is may be encouraging the behavior but idk what else to do..but in the mornings before I leave for work I have been taking him out of the cage and letting him poop just so he's not uncomfortable. He gets tons and tons of time outside of his cage. Basically if I am home and in the same room as him he is outside of the cage...I almost never keep him locked up when I'm home. Also, I'm a teacher and have just started summer vacation so I won't be leaving in the morning for work the next few weeks. This means he's out of the cage even longer everyday - will this be bad for getting him to poop inside? Any advice or similar experiences? I plan to ask the vet but am curious about what you all think. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I had this issue with my green cheek also. my theory is, the cage is a nest, basically, and birds don't like to poop in their nest. What helped was to give her a sleep cage, a smaller cage that became the nest, and then she had no issues pooping in her cage. Watch out for that morning bomb, though!

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
Haha, yes! The Morning Bomb! I learned about those the hard way. Now, I ask Conner to "Make a poopoo" and he does it, says, "Good Morning Peekabirdie!" when he's done and then demands his breakfast! I think that the above poster is correct. It sounds like a 'nest' issue. Two cages sounds like it might work. Let us know how your sweetie is doing with it.