• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC won't eat his own food

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So recently Ben (GCC) is only interested in my bourkes food. The bourkes are my only birds still on seed so Ben thinks that anything in their bowl is better than what's in his. They all get the same chop and fresh foods but Ben still thinks the bourkes chop is better. So instead of eating his own food he clings onto the bourkes cage and grabs whatever little bits of food he can through the cage bars. Sometimes he does a weird head bob, I'm not sure if he's trying to regurgitate for the bourkes or begging for food like a chick, but it doesn't seem healthy. Of course I don't leave their fresh food out for too long so Ben ends up not really eating anything because he's too busy begging the bourkes for food. I'm worried he's not getting enough fresh food because of this and I don't know what to do

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo did the same thing to Bobber. What I had to do was feed him in his cage, let him eat for 20 mins or so with the cage door closed, then let him out for a while. I then put let him stay out with the door open and easy access to his foods in multiple areas (foraging toys, mostly) and he would eat a little that way too. I then would put him back in his cage every few hours with his food. Seemed to work :)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Jingo did the same thing to Bobber. What I had to do was feed him in his cage, let him eat for 20 mins or so with the cage door closed, then let him out for a while. I then put let him stay out with the door open and easy access to his foods in multiple areas (foraging toys, mostly) and he would eat a little that way too. I then would put him back in his cage every few hours with his food. Seemed to work :)
Yeah I've thought about doing that I just hate having to lock him up when he gets so little out time to begin with. He eats his pellets and foraging treats fine because he is typically in his cage when those things are available. I usually make their fresh food when I get home from work and I let Ben out. And then before bed I put their dry food back in and put Ben in his cage. I know he's eating enough but I worry the bulk of his diet is pellets because he doesn't eat when he's out.

I do have a platform perch with a bowl in it from tweety pies. I'm wondering if I attach it near the bourkes bowl if he'll eat his fresh food from there. I kind of doubt it will work but I'll try that out for the next couple days before having to lock him in with his food lol