• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC training

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've just realized... I know nothing about training my GCC when s/he gets here!

I was wondering, how do you teach them to sit on your hand, and be comfortable with you. How to teach them tricks. Also, some more info on harness training, do you recommend it? How does that work?

I may get an adult bird, that's already trained, but I also may get a baby, that is new to humans. Thanks

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I can use my new siggy line...Monica has done a tone of training info. I just bribe everyone with nutriberries.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I can use my new siggy line...Monica has done a tone of training info. I just bribe everyone with nutriberries.
:coffeescreen: Good to know! I will pick up some nutriberries when I go to get the food! :rofl:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:coffeescreen: Good to know! I will pick up some nutriberries when I go to get the food! :rofl:
:smuggrin: Only way to get 19 rascals to bed without fuss. If they have their nutriberries early, I have a lot of conure wrangling to do. Of course this is troublesome when you want to let them stay up late. They know those things are distributed around 8:30...9 comes and they start fussing and causing trouble.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bribery ;) And being calm, patient, consistent and going at the bird's pace.

Parrots are flock animals - your bird is going to want to have company. Set yourself up as the giver of delicious treats, and treat liberally. I like using flaked almonds (from the bakery aisle in the supermarket) because you can break them into pieces. You just want to give your bird a bite of something delicious so they don't fill themself up on just treats. Let your bird set the pace and don't force them into anything because that can damage your bird's trust in you. If they don't want to step up initially, then that's okay - just give it time.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:smuggrin: Only way to get 19 rascals to bed without fuss. If they have their nutriberries early, I have a lot of conure wrangling to do. Of course this is troublesome when you want to let them stay up late. They know those things are distributed around 8:30...9 comes and they start fussing and causing trouble.
Aww! That sounds crazy, but absolutely adorable... like a bunch of crazy kids!

Bribery ;) And being calm, patient, consistent and going at the bird's pace.

Parrots are flock animals - your bird is going to want to have company. Set yourself up as the giver of delicious treats, and treat liberally. I like using flaked almonds (from the bakery aisle in the supermarket) because you can break them into pieces. You just want to give your bird a bite of something delicious so they don't fill themself up on just treats. Let your bird set the pace and don't force them into anything because that can damage your bird's trust in you. If they don't want to step up initially, then that's okay - just give it time.
Okay, sounds easy enough! Flaked Almonds are a good idea! Thank you!

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Do some research on positive reinforcement. Here's a link to a playlist on YouTube that contains various informative videos on bird training. As for getting your bird to be comfortable with you, just make sure that whenever you're with your bird it's a positive experience. Try giving them treats to eat out of your hand. Maybe just sit near their cage and talk to the bird, so it knows that you're not a threat, and it gets used to the sound of your voice. Lastly, wait for the to come to you. Don't try and forcefully pick it up or in it's personal space, unless it's on your birds own accord. Rather, sit with an open cage door. See if it wants to come and check you out. You can offer your hand or arm as a perch. Hope this was helpful!! Good luck with your new partner and friend.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I do not recommend Bird Tricks nor the Parrot Wizard... which is why I do not have links to either in the Free Training Resources thread.

Within reason, using positive reinforcement training techniques, a green cheek can be trained the same way as any other animal, with some preferences kept in mind! ;)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ok thank you everyone!

I know this is a controversial subject, but what do you guys think about potty training? What about teaching them to fly back to their cage to go, does that work? Is it safe for them? I don't personally mind but they will probably be in a family room, where my parents may not appreciate the mess :/

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you train the bird right, then yes, it's safe. If you train them "wrong", it's deadly. Some birds learn to hold it in and will only go when their human says to go. This in turn means that they could be holding their waste in for 8+ hours when the human is away at work or otherwise and this is harmful.

If you learn when your bird needs to go and move them before they go, then that's fine too.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ok, what about this training video, would you say it's safe?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
10 minutes may be too long of a training session... and it probably doesn't matter who you follow so long as you don't train the behavior too well to the point that they *only* wait for you to cue them. It's good though to wait for the cues they need to go then move them.