• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC suddenly hates me??? :(

fijii

Meeting neighbors
I've had my gcc for about a year, from what i was told he is about 3 years old now. He was very friendly and never bit anybody. Now all of the sudden, starting about 2 months ago, he will randomly hate me. Some days hes very nice to me. Other days, when i go over to his cage he gets all poofy and mad, makes weird noises and rocks back and forth :confused: if i touch him when hes acting like this i will get bit HARD. He will also knock down his food if im the one who puts it in his cage. The only changes i can think of since this started is, firstly, one day i was trying to put him back in his cage and when he was flying something happened to one of his feathers and it was out of place for a couple days. Im not sure if thats even relevant but maybe hes mad at me because of it. Next, about a month before this happened, i did put a mirror in his cage, not sure if thats relevant either. Lastly, about 4 months before this behavior started i got another bird, an african grey. I am the only one hes ever mean to, he likes everybody else. We used to be best friends, he was always on my shoulder and preening my hair.. now he just hates me sometimes.. i dont get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
i did put a mirror in his cage, not sure if thats relevant either.

I would say that's very relevant. He has a pseudo mate (mirror) inside his cage which now becomes an even higher priority to guard/defend. And its spring.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Lastly, about 4 months before this behavior started i got another bird, an african grey.
And then you got a new girlfriend. Another very relevant thing.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
What can i do to make him love me again?!

fijii

Meeting neighbors
I did take the mirror away about 2 weeks ago, no change in behavior

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Gale M

Moving in
Real Name
Gale
One way to protect your digits and create favour, renewing the relationship, do check point training and clicker training through the bars.
After a session offer a head scratch through the bars, and if he tries to bite, walk away.
After a while he should come around because birds like attention.
I would never put a mirror in a cage. I might use one as a platform for a treat, or as part of a game where you teach him to go touch a mirror and come back to you. Mirrors are self reinforcing, and you want to be the guiding one.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
JLCribber is right. I had the same issue with a GCC. Same circumstances only my new bird instead of a Grey was a GW Macaw. My GCC after that beca,e very aggressive to me and unfortunately had to be rehomed, but got rehomed by a friend who also had a GCC. All turned out well for him. Hopefully your story works out better than mine did.