• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gcc likes the taste of my skkn

Atmz

Checking out the neighborhood
I’ve had my pineapple conure for about a month now. He’s about 9 months old, I’d say we are doing somewhat pretty good, the main issue is biting. He really really likes biting my fingers and skin off , not aggressive or anything but he seems to like the taste of my skin.

I tried almost everything :

- Ignoring the biting (every bite of his draws blood so yeah it was pretty painful lol).

-try to reward him when he doesn’t bite( he never does)

-Tried to bite pressure train him but it never worked.

Nothing really seemed to stop the biting or reduce it.

I’ve taught him how to step up, using a glove because it really isn’t possible without it,

And he isn’t really afraid of me, he eats from my hand and accepts an occasional head scratch. I understand that all birds bite especially conures but if I can teach him to beak me without hurting me everytime that’d be great.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
(X-POST) Based on the information you have provided, my suggestion is to cage him! Start target training him through the cage bars! Do not let him out until he has learned to target to any location within the cage.

What will this do?

° Help you learn how to communicate with him
° Help you avoid bites while training a new behavior
° Help to stop cage aggression
° Help to stop flying attacks

What we need is his favorite treats (preferably 3-5 things that he absolutely LOVES! having more than one treat keeps training more interesting!), a target (empty pen case, knitting needle, a target stick, a chopstick, etc.... just 1 item to work as the target), perhaps some treat cups and/or a spoon, patience and a *little* time!

Here's a rough breakdown of what you want to be doing with the target. You may need to repeat each step several times before moving onto the next one. Please keep in mind though, you want the training sessions to be short and sweet! 3-5 minutes is all you need, once a day minimum! But if you can work with him more often throughout the day, then great! Just keep the sessions short!

1.) Reward your bird for looking at target
2.) Reward your bird for moving his head towards the target
3.) Reward your bird for taking a step towards the target
4.) Reward your bird for taking another step towards the target
5.) If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
6.) Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
7.) Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
8.) Reward your bird for reaching for the target
9.) Reward your bird for moving and reaching for the target
10.) *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for touching the target!

You can have your bird reach through the cage bars to receive his treat (which should be the size of 1/4 to 1/2 a sunflower seed), set up several treat cups within the cage so you can just drop the reward into the cup, use a spoon to offer the reward, etc. The main thing is, you want to avoid being bitten! By allowing him to bite, you are reinforcing his need to bite. If he does bite (in the future), get him off of you! Don't take him back to the cage if you aren't next to it, simply pry him off and set him down. You need to distance yourself a little from him and think about how you can avoid that situation in the future.

Once you are able to get him to target to any location within the cage through the cage bars, then you can open up the cage door, target train through the door, then target train around the outside of the cage. If this continues to do well, you can target train him away from the cage.

If you ever have an issue with changing out the food and water bowls, then station train him! Basically, teach him to stay put on a perch away from the bowls while you change them out. It does help to have extra sets ready to swap out quickly and work on this behavior when you don't need it.

There's tons more information in the links here. Please check out the videos by Barbara Heidenreich, Jenny Drummy, Lara Joseph, Susan Friedman, etc. Read their articles, too!

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum