• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Keeps Biting!!

joseppi

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Fewtrell
Hello im Joe a new owner to a green cheek. kirby (the Bird) Is being verry difficult. We recently got Kirby from his owner about 4 days ago , Because the owner felt he had no time to spend with the bird adn he left him out side and only played with him 2 times a week, however the owner was verry kind to the bird and tought plenty of tricks to the bird. When he showed it to us the bird was verry egar to climb on our shoulders and on my hoodie. And when we took him home he loved all the attension and climbing on our hoodies, however he will never touch our finger , he will only bite. We can get him on a branch and he will climb up my arm but when we give him our finger he will just bite and bite and some times draw blood. We have watched lots of videos on how to stop, but he will not stop biting. I was hoping some of you guys could give us some tips
Thanks , Joe

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I have the same issue. At first I got upset and disheartened, then I thought birds don’t bite for no reason so I need to figure out what was causing him to hate fingers. Turns out he had bad experiences with hands in the past and so he was afraid this caused him to go into fight mode so he attacked my fingers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Joe,

4 days is a drop in the ocean when it comes to birds. Kirby is still settling in and adjusting to the big changes in his life - new cage, new home, new humans, new food, new routine, it´s a lot.
It could just be that you are rushing him a little. It could also be that he is happy somewhere (your shoulder or a branch for eg) and then you are trying to take him away on your finger, he bites to say no.

Have a read of these links;

Essential Guide to Communicating with Parrots – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Behavior Byway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum (check the green sticky threads)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You say that Kirby knows a bunch of tricks??? Does this include target training?