• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gcc is overgrooming/plucking!

piratesam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sydney Mitchell
I have a Green Cheek Conure named Sam and he is very special. He came from a rough past and he doesnt let anyone touch him other than me, but he only lets me scratch him. He doesnt play with any toys or anything, and if tried quite a few. When im at home, he sits on my shoulder and chills with me. Ill give him scritches and kisses but when I am away, he doesnt do anything except sit there and preen (I assume). I took him to the vet yesterday to get his nails trimmed (because i cant do them, he wont let me hold him) and i noticed his lower stomach was patchy. The bet said he was over grooming, and to give him something to shred. The only thing I have ever seen him shred is newspapers, so I took some strips and hug them in his cage and on the top part where he sits. He hasnt touched them. Im at a loss, I dont know why hes plucking, he wont play with anything, but I dont want him plucking. Can anyone help?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Have you tried a foraging box maybe to get Sam interested in foraging? You could use just a small plastic tub with shredding materials and some treats in the tub to try to get Sam interested in shredding? The link below has some examples of wood foraging boxes that AA member @hrafn made for their fids. It might be worth a try. Also I know some people have good luck with the fleece preeners and some of the vendors on here sell those or something similar. I attached a picture of what one of the preeners look like if you have never seen one.

Pictures - New foraging boxes! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Preener.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Have you had gram stains done lately? Sometimes hormonal plucking can start at the legs. Is he food motivated that you could place favorite treats in toy crevices?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Other things that can be shredded are balsa, yucca, and vine. Have you tried any of those?

If he never lays with toys he may need you to teach him how. Sit on the couch with him and use your hands to play with and tinkering with them .Invite him to play too. Smile and giggle and show him how much fun you're having. Praise him when he takes a nibble

piratesam

Real Name
Sydney Mitchell
Have you had gram stains done lately? Sometimes hormonal plucking can start at the legs. Is he food motivated that you could place favorite treats in toy crevices?
what do you mean by a gram stain?

piratesam

Real Name
Sydney Mitchell
6010E0ED-37C8-4F5D-9118-82808FC78310.jpeg
I made a foraging bowl for him but he doesnt seem to have much interest in it. Ill wait and see if he plays with is.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes food allergies or metal poisoning can also manifest as overgrooming. What is his current diet? Why kind of cage is he in? Are all metals in the cage free of zinc?

piratesam

Real Name
Sydney Mitchell
Sometimes food allergies or metal poisoning can also manifest as overgrooming. What is his current diet? Why kind of cage is he in? Are all metals in the cage free of zinc?
He is on a seed diet. Ive tried everything to get him on pellets and he wont. His cage is a Prevue Hendryx cage and they are pretty good.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It's a simple test a vet can preform. Parrot Gram Stain
This should be at a minimum, your yearly wellness test. It can tell you a lot. Since you've asked about a gram stain, I'm guessing not. So you have no idea if the plucking is health related. My Zia will pluck guaranteed when she isn't feeling well with a bacteria or yeast infection.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is on a seed diet. Ive tried everything to get him on pellets and he wont. His cage is a Prevue Hendryx cage and they are pretty good.

But what about toys? Any toys with metal? The connectors?

An all seed diet can also make him sick. Does he eat any veggies etc?

My Jardine's currently has a host of issues from being on a seed diet for 19 years, including respiratory and heart problems.

It took my Quaker 6 months to eat any pellets. It can be a struggle. Zupreem fruity is usually easiest to get birds onto. You can also try making the pellets into a powder and wet with veggie baby food and mix in seeds to at least get some into him. That is what I'm doing right now with my sick boy.