• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC - How many flight feathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
How many flight feathers does a GCC need to be able to fly? My GCC was severely clipped when I got him, but now has several flight feathers on each side and still does not fly.

I am used to my tiels who are fully flighted but even when they were clipped in the past they were still able to fly pretty well.

Do GCCs need full feathers to fly? I'm not sure if he is needing more feathers or if he has just never flown in his life. He is 7 months old and I have no idea if he was allowed to fly when very young. He will lean forward and flap his wings but doesn't really make any attempt to take off.

If he doesn't want to fly, that is fine. But I don't know if I should be doing something to help or if I should just leave him be. :D

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Actually, a bird can fly with clipped flight feathers. All they need is a couple.

Due to the severe clipping, he is likely a bit scared, especially if he never fledged. Best analogy would be us jumping off a building. Since we never did it, it is scary to us. (We know we can't fly, but your GCC doesn't know he CAN fly).

Perhaps little exercises would work. Take him to your bedroom and gently "toss" him onto your bed (very close initially). You can also do some flapping exercises to strengthen his wings, too. Hold him up high, and, while holding his feet, bring him down so that he flaps his wings.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
Thank you! I wasn't sure if all birds could fly clipped since I read that cockatiels were strong flyers.

I will try some exercises and encouragement - without pressure. :D

LittleGems

Rollerblading along the road
My GCC could fly quite well with only a couple flights grown back in. My CBC refused to even try until long after she had all her flights - with her it was mental, not physical. She could have flown with only a few flights, she just did not believe it LOL then one day something startled her and she ended up flying a few laps around the room. She seemed shocked that her wings "worked" haha but since that day she flies nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.