• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Food?

BirdGirl101

Moving in
Real Name
Emma Hudson
Hi everyone! I am planning on hopefully getting a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure! The breeder I am hopefully going with says the baby will be weaned onto Zupreem and roudybush pellet. Would it be ok if I put in a separate bowl Kaytee Fiesta Conure Food as a little treat? ( not the entire diet because one he will be weaned onto Zupreem and two because there are a lot of seeds in that "food") All suggestions welcome!:joyful:

Thank you,
Emma:blahblah:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kaytee is in my opinion a low quality food. They also sponsored bird mills in the past.

BirdGirl101

Moving in
Real Name
Emma Hudson
Sorry I meant Kaytee Fiesta Big Bites Parrot and Conure food.:D

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I second not doing kaytee. If you’re looking for “treats” try nutriberries or avicakes, and some of the other healthier seeds

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I third Kaytee if you can get something better!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I usually use Higgins seeds mixes for my birds ' treats. They are pretty inexpensive but much cleaner than other mixes I've used!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There really are better treats than seed mixes. A little piece of spray millet makes a wonderful treat. Millet is a low fat seed, and it gives your baby something to do since he needs to pick and hull each little seed. Millet is also easy to digest and especially good for babies.
I would save fattier treats like sunflower/safflower seeds or pieces of nut for 'special occasions', like for training/taming rewards, or for a special treat when he goes in the cage, if he doesn't like to go in.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
My conure has a grape everyday always hand fed as a treat and he loves it and it is a brilliant bonding exercise... also Apple on occasions.
Also I agree with millet.

Robert Schulz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Robert
Zupreem and Roudybush are pretty well regarded as a core diet. I haven't used Kaytee's fiesta mix but it gets good reviews on Amazon. I've had good results with a brand called Menu (found it at Walmart). It seems to have less of the "monkey biscuits" and small seeds that my birds won't touch.
You should try sprouting some seeds too. They're very healthy and a less fatty than seed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wouldn't recommend food from Walmart either...

Pets of Mav

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

I don't have any experience with any of the foods mentioned above, I have always used Harrison's bird foods for my birds. These come in different varieties, and you usually start of with the High Potency and move onto the Lifetime after 6 months I believe it is. I do highly recommend this food, although it is very pricey. They also have treats called Power Treats, and I use this as "one cube each" every day. For training I use pealed sunflower seeds as it makes less of a mess and is consumed faster, which have given me better results for training.

I like to mix up the food, and I give the base diet of Harrison's Lifetime Fine, and supplement with bell peppers, cucumber, grapes, carrot and broccoli daily. I also make up a big batch of veggies and a big batch of fruit at times, divide them into portions and freeze them. This way I can just defrost one a day or every second day and supplement with a large verity of fruits and veggies.

I like to mix in seeds as well, but I try to keep this a bit limited as they often eat them and leave the rest if they get the opportunity to eat enough.

Have a look at Harrison's Bird Foods, they are ecological and should be one of the best foods on the market. Link here: Harrison's Bird Foods
They also have products like Bird Bread, Hand-raise formula and other bird foods.

BirdGirl101

Moving in
Real Name
Emma Hudson
Thank you everybody! I will definitely look into all of your ideas to find what will be best for my baby! Thank you! :D