• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCC flew into door and has a superficial cut above her eye

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
I tried giving her water, but she refused to drink it. She was incredibly dazed and shaken, and had a small cut above her eye. I put her back in her cage to rest, after holding her for a bit to comfort her. She was able to lethargically react to things and move when I put her in her cage. I'm not sure how I should disinfect the cut since it's so close to her eye? I'm planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow to make sure that she doesn't have a concussion, but I would love some first aid tips. Thank you!

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would just leave the cut alone. It should heal fine. Definitely get her checked, though, because a concussion is a major concern with the way she's acting. Is she able to perch and stay balanced?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The vet is the best thing as she sounds woozy from the accident. Guess if its really close to the eye you have to be careful.
Just use a wet cloth with plain water to clean it a bit. I'd be afraid any other things could get in the eye.
Its probably not too dirty as its just a contact wound. Not sure what you could use to get close to the eye without endangering it if she moved.
Maybe let the vet treat the cut?

Hope she feels better. Sometimes they are just a bit stressed or stunned or in shock.

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
She's able to stay perched, but it definitely requires more effort than usual. I decided not to do anything to the cut, it doesn't look deep enough and I'd rather not accidentally poke her eye and cause even more injuries. If she does have a concussion, what should I do in the meantime before I get her to a vet in the morning?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Try to put some padding on the cage floor in case she falls? Maybe lower the perches?
Keep a night light on.

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you lower her perches or put her in a hospital cage/carrier setup with no perches? You want to minimize stress, and you especially don't want her falling and potentially hitting her head again.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try to put some padding on the cage floor in case she falls? Maybe lower the perches?
Keep her warm. Keep a night light on.
Supplemental heat is not a good idea for concussions because it can worsen brain swelling. The rest of this is good, though. :)

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Should be! Even if you pad the bottom, I'd still lower her perches or take them out if you can. You really don't want her jostling herself any more than she already has. Plus it takes a lot of effort to stay perched when she's off-balance, and she could be using that energy for healing.

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Should be! Even if you pad the bottom, I'd still lower her perches or take them out if you can. You really don't want her jostling herself any more than she already has. Plus it takes a lot of effort to stay perched when she's off-balance, and she could be using that energy for healing.
Ok thanks! She's a stubborn little bird even when she's injured--she absolutely refuses to be near the bottom even though I put all her perches close to the bottom. I gather that's a good thing, because she's still retaining her spunk. I met her in the middle by giving her a slightly higher perch. Hopefully that'll be ok for her.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ok thanks! She's a stubborn little bird even when she's injured--she absolutely refuses to be near the bottom even though I put all her perches close to the bottom. I gather that's a good thing, because she's still retaining her spunk. I met her in the middle by giving her a slightly higher perch. Hopefully that'll be ok for her.

They don;t feel safe on low perches or on the floor but its for her safety.

Supplemental heat is not a good idea for concussions because it can worsen brain swelling. The rest of this is good, though. :)

Good point just read that...good to know...

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
They don;t feel safe on low perches or on the floor but its for her safety.
I know, but she kept attaching herself to the top of the cage whenever her favorite perch was near the bottom. It would've been more dangerous for her to fall from all the way up there. I eventually satisfied her by putting the perch about 6-8 inches from the bottom.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
keep as quiet as possible. check on her several times until you can get to the vet. a smaller cage might help also.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she's okay, keep us posted!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your GCC got injured. Hope she is doing OK.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Usually first 48 hours are critical. Is she improving? Were you able to see a vet?

Hoping she is back to herself.

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for your love and support! I took her to a vet this morning, and thankfully she doesn't have a concussion and didn't break any bones. However, her face is pretty swollen and bruised from the impact, so she can only eat soft foods until everything's back to normal. She's definitely improving--she got most of her motor coordination back and started chirping again!