• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC clawed by dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conuress

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm still a little shaken up, but basically what had happened a couple minuets ago was that I was sitting on the couch with my conure on my shoulder. He loves my mom, so when she walks down the stairs, he always goes to her. All of a sudden, the bird took off and my dog somehow managed to swipe at him, hitting his right wing. The bird was on the ground, a little frightened. I grabbed him quickly and took him to his perch, checking for any issues. He lost around four small feathers (they were not blood feathers or pin feathers) and seemed to be fine. I gave him some time to calm down before making sure he had no injures and he seemed to be fine. He was back to acting like his little, funny self. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. After that, he hopped right back on me. I'm still quite nervous though, and I'm not sure what to do. He has no bleeding and the claws from the dog did NOT puncture the skin of the bird.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If the claws did not break the skin its a good thing. The paws could have caused bruising or trauma though under the skin.

I guess if there was no scratches & just some feather pulled out than he might have got lucky.

Keep a close eye on him though & maybe call the vet in the morning if there is any sign or distress,

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please no dog in the same room when your bird is out. You are fortunate this bird did no die.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
i'm glad to hear your bird is mostly unharmed from this encounter. please keep us updated! and as @camelotshadow said, if there is any change in his behavior contact your vet.

as @Lady Jane said, please try and prevent another incident like this from happening ! this encounter could have ended up very badly.

is it possible to have the dog away while the bird is out? if so, try and establish a routine that prevents the dog and bird from being in the same room.

here are some resources regarding dogs and birds:

Part Of The Flock

goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.