1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent GCC Bronzing or Stress (both?) with PIC

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Samuska, 7/31/18.

1. Samuska

Samuska Moving in

Sam
    Hey everyone! First post, and it’s a health concern! :/
    I just picked up this 10wk old Green Cheek yesterday and was a little alarmed by her dark reddish-brown bars, black flight feather tips, and overall scruffiness.

I didn’t get her from a breeder directly, but from a woman who bought her from one and only owned her for 2 weeks.

The leftover food the last owner gave me when I picked this little one up was mostly seed and kernel mix... something more suitable for cockatiels as far as I know. Would being fed a crappy seed diet for two weeks cause this? Or are these marks from the bird roughhousing a little too much and damaging her feathers?

From what I’ve read, stress bars appear lighter than the normal feather color and almost look clear and brittle. These marks are very dark but have normal structure (save for the raggy ends).

She’s extremely playful and bright-eyed and doesn’t seem sick otherwise. She eats pretty much anything I put in front of her (luckily!) so I’m graduating her onto a veg/pellet diet over the next little while.

(Let me know if the pic doesn’t load, I’ll try something else!) 85DCC35C-2293-405E-96F4-FA3152530681.jpeg

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Bronzing usually makes green feathers appear black, not red. The feathers are actually black and the way the ridges on the feather reflects light in a way that our eyes interpret as green. I would guess that is stress bars because of the coloration and the fact that they all appear to be in the same general area of growth rate. Stress marks happen while the feather is growing, so this would be a past "trauma". I'm guessing forced weaned if she had already been sold at minimum of 8 weeks old, since they usually don't wean that quickly.

The black tips are likely bronzing though! Babies are hard on their feathers.

That being said, baby birds usually have crappy looking feathers! And now is the time to get her on a good diet so that her next feathers are gorgeous :)

Samuska and webchirp like this.
  3. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

I’d be interested to know about her past history! Doesn’t look good to me! A loving home should solve everything to a degree! Some things are never forgotten!:sad9:

Samuska likes this.
  4. Samuska

Samuska Moving in

Sam
    Darn, you’re totally right and I was thinking that since those dark bars were all about the same length of the feather shaft down they may be from a past stressful experience! :(
    She is very young to have been weaned so quickly - no wonder she likes to be given food by hand!

I’ve just never seen such thick stress bars before so I was worried it was a nutritional thing.

Thanks for your advice!!

Lodah likes this.
  5. Samuska

Samuska Moving in

Sam
    I’m hoping to get a hold of her breeder via her past owner, though I highly doubt the breeder is going to admit to wrongdoing in the care of their baby birds... :/

Lodah likes this.
  6. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Rhiana
    It looks like stress bars but I could be wrong.

@webchirp do you have any idea what the marks on her feathers could possibly be?

7. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Agreeing with Shawna...I'd like to know what handfeeding is used. Some of the less expensive brands can cause things like this or dull plumage.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)