• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC biting

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
When we got my GCC in January, she was shy and bit a lot, but she's much more outgoing now. Trouble is, she still bites a lot. My hands are all scarred from her attempts to take a chunk of flesh from me. I don't understand. She's a year old, is it hormones? Or does she just not like me? She bites everyone else too.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
She may not like hands. Will she do this if she is sitting in your shoulder? What about letting her come to you when she likes, let her decide.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Are her wings clipped?

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
She loves to ride on my shoulder. She'll do my chores just sitting there. Her wings are clipped, but they're growing out again.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
A portion of this is from my experiences that GCCs are very nippy... A part of that is just something you might have to learn how to avoid.

What kind of things are you doing when she bites? What does she do ( body language wise) before and when she bites? By learning subtle clues you should be able to avoid (most) bites.

At around year old I believe GCCs head into puberty, it could be hormones. Mine is especially nippy when she is hormonal.

If her biting is too much... do you have the means of purchasing a 'T-perch'? They are exactly what they sound like. A T shaped perch... I use one with all of my birds. It is very helpful, especially because when they are biting, you NEED to have a way to handle them. You can buy a T-perch online, or make one yourself.

Best wishes! GCCs are fun birds, but they can be a handful :)

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
My Harley never bit, but now she's starting to understand she can remove my flesh :facepalm:

Is it in an "I'm scared!" way, or is she playing and then bites?

safehaven

She loves to ride on my shoulder. She'll do my chores just sitting there. Her wings are clipped, but they're growing out again.
If she mainly bites as a hand goes to her, maybe try offering your arm with a sleeve shirt or sweatshirt. See if the hands are a trigger.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
In my experience...
When my GCC gets extra nippy it's due to his clipped wings growing out & his nails are sharp, and he feels overly confident. After a wing & nail trim, he's a little more humble.
I realize that not everyone chooses to clip their birds, I respect and admire that. In my house however, all my birds have to clipped for their safety. If my GCC feels he can get lift, he's nippy with some people in my house. When he's humbled, he's a little love bug with everyone, even some who just stop by. But keep in mind, each bird is different and I can only give you my experiences with my bird. Best of luck to you!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
In my experience...
When my GCC gets extra nippy it's due to his clipped wings growing out & his nails are sharp, and he feels overly confident. After a wing & nail trim, he's a little more humble.
I realize that not everyone chooses to clip their birds, I respect and admire that. In my house however, all my birds have to clipped for their safety. If my GCC feels he can get lift, he's nippy with some people in my house. When he's humbled, he's a little love bug with everyone, even some who just stop by. But keep in mind, each bird is different and I can only give you my experiences with my bird. Best of luck to you!
Mine are just the opposite - that's why I asked if her wings are clipped. With clipped wings my GCCs are nippy. How else can they communicate and control you? With flight, if they want something or don't like something, they just fly off somewhere else.

safehaven

I can't equate clipped wings with humble- but " disabling" nor do I think that it should be a solution to nipping.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
@safehaven
I do not use clipping his wings as a solution to nipping. Just to be clear. I merely noticed the coincidence, over the years, of his attitude change about the same time he's due for a wing trim, and then again after his trim. And as I said, every bird is different.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
@Lwalker
When Charlie wants something he says his name until you come to him, and leans his way to lead you to what he wants, lol. Sometimes, he hops on a shoulder and leans his way around the house until the person brings him to where he wants to be. For instance, he calls "Charlie" and I came to see what he wanted. He then leans and bobs at me until I pick him up. Then he crawls into my shoulder and leans a direction toward which I walk, until we reach my oldest son. Then he starts calling "Charlie" again, and fluttering towards my son until I get close enough for him to hop on Carson.
And if he doesn't like something he'll still fly away, but it's more like glides away. Or he climbs away. Either way he chooses, we understand one another and have pretty good communication. :)