• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Behaviour

James85

Meeting neighbors
Does anyones elses bird misbehave after waking up or when you come home from being out for a while? Got a new GCC last week, lovely little fella, but after waking up or when we come home after being out for an extended duration he can be bitey and bite hard. After 5mins or so though he's fine.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Congratulations on a new addition to your family! He's definitely still in adjustment mode, so the fact that you're only having "misbehavior" at these two times is remarkable. :D

Are you the one waking him? Keep in mind that he doesn't know you yet... so he doesn't know that you are trustworthy. If you were dropped into a new country a week ago and the stranger you found yourself staying with woke you unexpectedly... how would you react? Now imagine the stranger is 500 times bigger than you. And you don't speak the same language. Once he learns that you aren't planning to eat/hurt him, this issue should resolve itself. In the meantime, if you need to wake him give him the 5 minutes to compose himself before trying to get him to step up. :)

How old is he? If he came as an adult, it might be a bad habit from his former home. If he's a baby, perhaps he's expressing separation anxiety? I know it's an odd thought, but if he gets very worked up being left alone, he may be showing it by biting the first hand that comes near him. Maybe it would be a good idea to let him calm down first. Instead of approaching the cage immediately, talk to him a little from across the room. Watch his body language. If he's showing signs of aggression/tension wait until he relaxes before going to get him.

Hope this helps!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine doesn't get aggressive but she will often strut around puffed up in a sort of aggressive/excited posture. In her case, she's just happy-excited but I can see the behavior being close to overexcited/aggressive. She settles down pretty quick unless I deliberately go over and fuss over her excitedly, which I sometimes do.

abcdevonn

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Devon
Churro doesn't get too huffy, but sometimes she will give me a small nip that feels a bit like she is ticked that I dared to go away. For example, when I come home from work she fluffs and talks and coos and is excited, but when she steps up she bites between my thumb and pointer finger lightly to say "I'm mad that you were gone!" It's not usually very painful, though. She does the same thing in the morning sometimes, especially if I leave her in her cage/covered and she is awake, while I sit on my phone or am too lazy to get out of bed. She is 3 years old, and uses her beak to do a LOT of her expressing, so I just let it go unless she gets too rough.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, usually they are very stimulated when you come home or getting to come out. Excitement. I always let mine out for a few minutes before handling. It's normal.

Heather F

Yeah, my Frodo often does the little puff cheeked snorfle strut when I first let him out, though he's usually calmer in the morning. It's funny and cute, but don't put your fingers too close until he calms down! :eek:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Zephyr latched onto my nose the other morning and made me bleed. We were both grumpy morning peeps that day.

James85

Meeting neighbors
Sounds exactly like everyone is saying. Hes just a bit over excited. It's not me waking him up and as I said also happens when we come home. He puffs up, chortles, is happy to step up on fingers but he may throw a bite your way. Copped one on the lip which wasn't fun. But we're now almost another week in and he's fine now. He still occasionally bites but it's not hard. He is the funniest little bird I've yet owned. So bold and curious. My earlier sun conure was very sweet, but didn't much like exploring beyond the play gym I built him. This fella will go anywhere. Woke up today with him on my bed side table. He'd got out his cage and walked down the hallway to out room. Just watching an waiting for me to wakeup and once I did, jumped into bed and up under my neck and chin for a cuddle.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Be careful...people have rolled over on their birds. Green cheeks get into some serious trouble if eyes aren't on the birdie.

James85

Meeting neighbors
Yah, I wasn't falling back asleep so he was safe. But yes, he is quite the explorer. The apartment is rather safe though. Doors can be closed to keep him from anywhere he should go.