• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC aggressive all of a sudden

joseppi

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Fewtrell
Hello I’m Joe and I’ve been having some issues with Kirby (a 2 year old GCC) Ive taken advice from previous posts and ext. however he is just being a pain in the back side and will tear apart my finger at any chance I also let him on my shoulder but he also tears at my ear and some times I push him off my ear with my hoody arm and sometimes fall off. I have stoped him going on my shoulder ever since he bit me an this is were he started bitting my finger even more. I would love some advise thanks. (We’ve had him for 2 weeks now)

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@webchirp do you think you might have some advice?

From the sound of it he is going through hormones due to age and it being around that time of the year. Also you have not had him for very long and he is still trying to figure things out. He is still scared because it is a new place and new people he doesn't know what's what yet. Give him some time and he will start mellowing out but I would be cautious and just take things slow. It's new for both of you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Two weeks isn't a lot of time at all...Monica has done a ton of training. So much so I linked in my signature below

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say it sounds like you are moving too fast. Take it from square one and go at the bird's pace :)

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Yes, move slow. I probably wouldn’t even pick him up. Let him play on his cage. Offer treats here and there. If he allows pets. Give him pets. That’s a good way to form trust while also bonding. Sit and chat or put music on and sing. (I just did that with Zazu, my GCC) I’m terrified of her terrible twos. Hahah. Good luck!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I was kinda thinking it was too short a time as well. Birds are not going to just jump in and be besties right off the bat. it takes a lot of time and patience.

joseppi

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Fewtrell
Thanks for all the great advice I will take it a bit slower with Kirby

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you started target training through the cage bars? If not, I would recommend starting there... and learning how to reward him with treats without getting bitten! ;)