• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gathering information

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
So, here's how things are. I've had a parrot before, an male Cockatiel named MooShu. Got him from a pet-shop and he came with a virus. He died after 1 month of me taking care of him. Medicine and vets just couldn't save him.

Now, I want to get an Thai rose-ringed parakeet, or as it's called here in my country, Small Alexandrine.

To prevent him from getting the same virus my last parrot had, I did the following :

1. I'll be buying him from an well known parrot breeder in my region. I don't trust pet-shops anymore.

2. MooShu died on the night of 24 January. I waited so far 4 months, but I'll get the new ring-neck in July, so that'll be 5 months. In this time, I think the virus died out, not having a host to reproduce in.

3. I've thoroughly cleaned the cage, the T-stand and the room. I've also used an solution given to me from the vet which is supposed to kill any remaining viruses. ( I did the solution cleaning in March, and after that I washed again everything, so that the new parrot won't ingest remains of it )

Now, I want to ask you, people of the avian avenue, some questions :

1. Is my room cleaned enough for the new parrot?

2. Can ring-necks drink tap water? I gave my Cockatiel boiled water.

3. What fruits and veggies can a ring-neck eat? I knew that banana is good occasionally, but somebody that already has a ring-neck told me that bananas are not good for them. He didn't have any good reason behind it, he just believed so because the breeder that he got it from told him so.

4. Do veggies need to be boiled? Can I give him food that's been imported? Because here in my country we don't grow things like Broccoli or Iceberg salad or other things. We have them in markets, yes, but they are from import.

5. What dried fruits can I give them? if any at all. I knew dried apricots were good for them from time to time, is that true?

6. What is a good daily meal for them? I gave my Cockatiel veggies in the morning, seeds as the main food ( also we don't have pellets for birds here :/ ) and fruits as a treat. Is it ok if I do the same for the ring-neck but instead of seeds I give him store-bought parrot food?

7. What type of nuts can they eat?

8. My plan is to train him so that he sees his cage as an place to sleep and get food / water. I plan to let his cage always open and him free to fly as he wishes in MY room. I'll be hanging toys from different places in my room so he won't get bored while I'm not at home. And when I am at home, I'll be taking him around the house with me. At night I want him to either go in the cage by himself to sleep (I know this is hard to pull off) or just put him in there until morning. Is this a good plan to follow? Or should I keep him mostly inside the cage and only give him some hours of playtime outside of it.

9. I want to harness train him. How should I approach this? Is it even ok for people to take parrots outside for walks? I know this is future thinking and dreaming, but I want one day, in the distant future, to teach him how to free fly. Of course I want to teach him how to fly to my hand first, but you get the point. I wanna start with the harness first.

10. The pet-shops in this town sell some kind of bird gravel. Something that you put inside your birds cage, at the bottom. It's like the gravel you put in your cat's litter, but it's for birds. And I've heard that it's eatable and it doesn't cause them harm. Shall I use it? Or stick to my paper layout?

11. My Cockatiel used to have an colorful wooden toy. The hanging type. When I first washed the cage, it was inside. Saw that the colors were draining from it. Is it normal? Is it like food coloring which is eatable? Or is it poisonous for them parrots? If it's poisonous then I'll search for other toys that don't involve the rainbow col

That's it I think. Thank you for reading and if you respond to this post, thank you again ^_^
I appreciate any answer.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In the United States, not many people differentiate between subspecies of Alexandrine parakeets, so you may only receive information for Alexandrine parakeets in general.

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
In the United States, not many people differentiate between subspecies of Alexandrine parakeets, so you may only receive information for Alexandrine parakeets in general.
Oh yes, I do get that. I just need some answers to my questions. I just said the species just to sound more intelligent lol

But any advice would be helpful. For ring-necks or for other parrots. I just want to get some info right, like what they can or cannot eat etc

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
1. Not sure on that, it should be.

2. I give all my birds tap water, though i know the water is hard in my area which means it's has more minerals in it like calcium (basically leads to lime scale build up). If you're worried you could offer cool boiled which means that the bacteria has been killed but the minerals like calcium remain, Or you could use a filter. It really depends on your water quality.

3. Not species specific, parrots in general should have more veggies fruits shouldn't be offered too much as they are full of sugars and can lead to sour crop, obesity etc. bananas are safe (peeled), berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, red currants, kiwi, mangos, cantaloupe just to name some.

4.washing throughly is important as most fresh produce is sprayed with pesticides and fertilisers which are usually not washed and are toxic. Organic produce can be hard to find and is expensive but doesn't have harmful toxins on them. Just wash throughly and you should be fine.

6. Fruits and nuts shouldn't make up ore than 10% of their diet, I tend to feed a 50-30% pellet diet with seeds for the budgies making up around 30% as they need more seeds in their diet like cockatiels (not sure on alexandrine). And 40% veggies/chop mix.

7.walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds,cashew, pecan, pistachio, Brazil nuts, Palm nuts. Not any that are salted or covered in yogurt or chocolate.

8.if you can create a safe environment then go for it, I use the idea of the cage being a stop for food and water when my birds are out. However I have cats so it wouldn't work for me.

9. I think parrot wizard has some good harness training videos. Though do be aware of predators like Hawks, rats, cats, dogs, squirrels and other humans there's always going to be risks.

10. Bird gravel or grit is not needed for parrots as they de hull their seeds so they don't need any digestive aids like chickens. Stick with paper as grit can cause damage to their gizzard.

11, paint that runs is water soluble and should be safe, paint that doesn't is toxic like acrylic paint and should be binned.

Hoped this helped!

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
Thanks Jas ! Of course it helped :D
I've noted some of the stuff you told me about, like the diet and what type of nuts they can eat.

I'll introduce the lil' guy to you gys in July. :D

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Can't wait:)