• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galah Cockatoo....

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
Hi everyone, I’m looking to adopt/buy a galah cockatoo, I refuse to buy one from a parrot shop or breeder, I currently have five year old CAG that I got from this guy in NJ that looked like he was a parrot hoarder, he had 5 CAG’s in his bedroom and never takes them out of the cage!

A month ago I got a sun conure from someone in NY that was defiantly just neglected and not taken care of, today both parrots are defiantly having a better life with me and my family, I feed them everything I can and the best food and a lot of time spent with both parrots, I got full blood tests done by Animal Genetics in FL and they are healthy birds

Bottom line is parrots need to be adopted or to buy from people that can’t take of one anymore, so I will like to give a good home to a galah cockatoo adopt/buy from a privet person.

I did contact two bird shelters in NJ but I find them difficult to deal with.

Willing to drive to NJ, PA, NY, CT, MD

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Good luck with your search. RB2s tend to not come up for adoption very often. I bought my first and second one as babies from a breeder because I could not find them in shelters or as adult birds being given up as adoptions. I lucked out with my third one simply because he was the brother of my first one. They were clutch mates and the owner wanted them to be together. I also have a breeding pair that we opened our house up to in order to give them a second chance at life after their owner passed away.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Craigslist may be helpful. My Layla was a craigslist rehome. I haven't seen another since her on craigslist in our area but I lucked out because she is dang near the perfect bird and I still can't believe someone wanted to rehome her. Might be worth keeping an eye out there.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's great that you are opening your heart and home to birds from these situations. Glad that their blood work came back that they are so healthy. Shows that while the Sun was neglected it either was just for attention and they were feeding him somewhat well or that he wasn't neglected for very long. Is there a reason you are wanting to grow your flock so quickly? A month is hardly anytime at all to get to know the personality of your sun. If he's been starved for attention he may not have completely come out of his shell yet or you could still be in the honeymoon phase. I'm not saying you shouldn't get another just seems quick to me. It's easy to come down with multiple bird syndrome and by time each bird blossoms from all the love and good care a person finds themselves in over their head. Not saying you will just sounds like you are looking for birds that have dealt with a lot and they sometimes can be more needy than others. Good luck in your search, sounds like you're a great bird parent.

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
Craigslist may be helpful. My Layla was a craigslist rehome. I haven't seen another since her on craigslist in our area but I lucked out because she is dang near the perfect bird and I still can't believe someone wanted to rehome her. Might be worth keeping an eye out there.
Well I have been on craigslist for a very long time now, every day, that’s how I got my CAG Ruby for only $500 with the cage and my Sun Conure Sunny for $200 with cage, so I hope something will come up on craigslist.

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
Hey Shyra,

Well the Sun was neglected in a way that his nails where not cut for a very long time, he was not even able to rap his legs around a perch properly defiantly causing some leg finger problems, and he is totality missing one nail, probably was too long and got tangled in something, the first thing I did when I got home is cut his nails.

I’m not in a rush to get another parrot, it’s just that I know that it can take a long time to find one, so I’m starting from now.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have a TAG with several stumpy nails...he lost them while fighting with other birds in my house because he's a bully!:) Love him to tears but can't trust him as far as I can throw him.

What got you interested in birds? Your current two seem like new additions. Galahs, or Cockatoos in general can be incredibly challenging although the older they get, the more mellow they seem to become.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Bottom line is parrots need to be adopted or to buy from people that can’t take of one anymore, so I will like to give a good home to a galah cockatoo adopt/buy from a privet person.
You are my kind of people. Absolutely wonderful to hear you say that. :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think it's great you are helping these birds, and I hope you find a galah that needs a loving home!

Ariel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ariel
Hi , jmfleish
I’m overall a big animal lover, parrots one of my favorite. I have had a cocktail when I was a kid, I always wanted to get a parrot again, so with being married with kids now I have the room and the means and time to have a parrot or two, or more J my wife is home for most of the day, and there is a lot of action going on the whole family is involved and that’s a pulse for me

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
RB2s tend to not come up for adoption very often.
Jeez, where I live, galahs are basically the only birds for adoption :(

Hope your search is successful! RB2s are such clowns, and are super sweet. For me, they are the perfect bird :)