• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gaining trust

Fontenoy

Moving in
Real Name
Nerida
Hi all
I have more question to hopefully learn more about lovebirds. My two are Sugby and Shelby.

Is there a specific bedtime?
Should I let them out each night?
I work all day all week so they are alone so hard to spend lots of time gaining their trust. So have to take them out around 7pm for a few hours?
What is the secret to gaining trust and acceptance. They are so scared it is now two weeks.
I love them, they love being out of cage but run from me. What do I do or how do I get their acceptance.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
You can start by setting a bedtime, they need 12 hours of dark time. Then you can get them to take treats from your hand, like millet, or sunflower seeds. When they get used to this teach them to step up. After they step up consistently try target training. When they get that down you can teach them other tricks. Just be warned, they will likely bond strongly to each other. You are the third wheel so to speak, and as such they probably won't become cuddly companions like a single bird might. I'll stress the might portion because some birds are very independent. I would expect at best that they will land on you and maybe step up. Go at their pace and work with them individually. Good luck!