• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gained 19 grams

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thats not bad weight at all. My heavist Quakers are my boys, Bubba is 130 grams, Jake is 122 grams and Sweetpea is 110 grams, My girls are on the light side, weighing, 110, 108 ,110, and 104

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I thought it sounded like a good weight too. I know blue quakers are a litttle smaller naturally but 88 grams seemed tiny to me. My first quaker was 145 lbs!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I thought it sounded like a good weight too. I know blue quakers are a litttle smaller naturally but 88 grams seemed tiny to me. My first quaker was 145 lbs!
:omg: 145 lbs is one HECK of a bird!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo is healthy at about 90 grams :) bobber finally is a healthy weight at 120g (was about 110 when he came here). Happy to hear Blu's on the right path!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Blu is so cute :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:omg: 145 lbs is one HECK of a bird!
He was a stud! He was admittedly a little bit overweight but he was naturally a pretty big quaker.

Jingo is healthy at about 90 grams :) bobber finally is a healthy weight at 120g (was about 110 when he came here). Happy to hear Blu's on the right path!
Well we didn't actually see the vet today. It was a vet tech. She didn't say anything about his weight so I'm hoping that's not too much of a weight gain for him

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
*Uh oh..litle bit of paranoia setting in*

I remember reading here that dna tests are not always accurate. Wouldn't it be crazy if Mr. Blu is going to lay an egg soon? I think that's alot of weight to put on in 7 months, no?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Love that photo of Blu!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, silly me! Of course that's not him!:wacky:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
*Uh oh..litle bit of paranoia setting in*

I remember reading here that dna tests are not always accurate. Wouldn't it be crazy if Mr. Blu is going to lay an egg soon? I think that's alot of weight to put on in 7 months, no?

I mean, you could have Dr. Scott McDonald surgically sex him but if he was underweight, 19 grams would not be outside the realm of healthy since he has been clipped and eating better. I wouldn't immediately jump to wrong gender ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

I mean, you could have Dr. Scott McDonald surgically sex him but if he was underweight, 19 grams would not be outside the realm of healthy since he has been clipped and eating better. I wouldn't immediately jump to wrong gender ;)
I don't know if I would him through all of that but thanks for the suggestion. I was being silly about the egg.:smuggrin: I don't really think he's a girl. I have just felt like he's a he since the moment I met him. He acts very boyish.

And if he laid an egg, I'd just deal with it. :lol:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You can DNA test rather than do the surgical sexing. If you're not evaluating for breeding surgical sexing is pretty extreme. How is his body condition? If he'll let you feel the pectoral muscles, they shouldn't feel like a semi-circle, but more like a slightly wide V. 19 grams is pretty significant weight gain for a bird that size (almost a 20% increase!) and you want to make sure that it's good muscling and not fat accumulation.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You can DNA test rather than do the surgical sexing. If you're not evaluating for breeding surgical sexing is pretty extreme. How is his body condition? If he'll let you feel the pectoral muscles, they shouldn't feel like a semi-circle, but more like a slightly wide V. 19 grams is pretty significant weight gain for a bird that size (almost a 20% increase!) and you want to make sure that it's good muscling and not fat accumulation.
He's had a dna test before and it said male so hopefully that was accurate. I tried to touch him just now and all he wants to do is come on my arm when I feel his pecs but I'm in a rush to get to work so I'll try to feel better later. I have a feeling he's getting tubby though. He looks a little chunky. Lol.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
What is his diet like? I don't know his history but it seems like you were trying to get him to gain weight?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What is his diet like? I don't know his history but it seems like you were trying to get him to gain weight?
I wasn't necessarily trying to make him gain weight. I think chubby animals are cuter but I know that's not healthy so I don't want his weight to get out of control. The reason I'm guessing it's fat is cause on our very first vet visit the vet was so impressed by Blu (and he weighed 88 grams at that time). He said he was "exceptionally healthy"

He gets soaked pellets first thing in the morning. Then I make him a veggie kabob with one fruit and leave sprouted seeds for his daytime munching. He gets a couple of nutriberries and 1 nut to forage for too.

Then at dinner I prepare a plate of various cooked and raw veggies with 1 tiny portion of fruit , more sprouted seeds, and a last chance for a few more soaked pellets before bed.

To go to bed I give him 1 dehydrated fruit (usually a blueberry) and 5 sunflower seeds (but he usually saves those till morning)

I think he eats too much fruit?