• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Future Parrot ideas

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
Hi guys. Im looking into getting another Parrot soon but not 100% sure what to get. At the moment i have one Quaker so id like something medium sized. If i could pick a perfect Parrot then it would be cuddly and playful and no louder than a Quaker and a bit of a clown. I really want another and have the time and love to give for sure and i think it would do my Quaker and the new bird good to be part of a little flock and enrich eachothers lifes. I love Caiques but i always read they can be violent around different bird species. I also like Conures and know some really great breeders. I like the little Hahns Macaws too but i hear they are really loud and also Cape Parrots but they are so hard to get in the UK. Parrotlettes seem really fun too. What do you guys think? X

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I have a green cheek conure that is very cuddly, is a playful clown and is reasonably quiet, but she does contact call me when I leave the room. She talks and has her chatty times. Having said that she is of coarse an individual and doesn't represent all gcc

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well, I would love to say I know a species that would be a good fit, but the truth Is that is nearly impossible. Birds of the same species can have very different personalities. There are Some things you could say about a species, like most caiques are really active, but my lovies for example are very different. The black capped conure of my stepmother is not cuddly anymore, even though conures are known as ‘cuddly birds’. They certainly can be don’t get me wrong, but he might just as well not like cuddling. It does sound like a conure could fit with you, but then again, I am not an expert plus the specific conure you bring home might be different. Are there any rescues near you? If there are, my advice is go meet Some birds! You can get a feel of their personality and behavior, and a bird might pick you!

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
There isnt many rescues at all like there is in some other countries or id of gone to one. I know all Parrots have their individual personalities. I just wanted some suggestions. I wouldnt give up on the bird however it turned out but id like to raise one from young i think x

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
There isnt many rescues at all like there is in some other countries or id of gone to one. I know all Parrots have their individual personalities. I just wanted some suggestions. I wouldnt give up on the bird however it turned out x
That is good! Some people expect all parrots from ghe same species to behave the same, it’s good you know that js not the case! Not Many rescues here in the Netherlands either sadly. Really is a shame. Have you read through all the good the bad and the ugly threads of the species you are considering? I would say a pyrrhura conure might suit you well, lovebirds and parrotlets can be great too. My lovies are big personalities! I really don’t know enough about macaws to say anything about that except that they are loud lol! Though Some macaws are quiet.

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
Yeah ive been reading up on them. The Quaker one scares me lol. Im always researching on Parrots too im just trying use every resource before i decide. Im not silly enough to think all in one species is the same lol. I would rescue again if i could but its hard over here and i think i would want to save them all. It broke my heart when i first seen Xander all beat up and scruffy. I might get a GCC. I know a great breeder so id get a young and healthy baby x

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
most of the conures seem to be good fits with the quakers :) Aratingas (jendays, suns, etc) though are super loud. Pyrhurras tend to be "quieter". Green cheeks are similar volume wise but more shrill.

Mzme

Moving in
Real Name
Mz
I know I'm a bit late with a reply to this one... but I own 1 Hahns Macaw, 2 Black Headed Caiques & 1 Jenday Conure. I absolutely without a doubt adore my Hahns Macaw. She is full of personality so funny, cute, cuddly and just lures everyone in to love her. Our male and female Caiques were ok with our other birds for a little while but have become very aggressive so I keep them separate from the Hahns & Jenday. I can sit on the lounge and snuggle with my Hahns for an hour and she wont poop on me, she laps it all up, she is more affectionate than my poodle dog at home. She is not loud compared to the Caiques & the Conure. she talks and mumbles and has mimicked the call of the Caiques & whistles so she never does a true macaw call. I will never live my life without a Hahns Macaw again.

My true Friend