• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Further conversation with my vet regarding chronic egg laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I was in with LScoot today getting a resplint of his fracture and we got to talking about Emily. Since she had made a comment on a prior visit that too bad Emily is not a breeder bird, I mentioned I had been checking into sending her off to boarding school...er ... breeding school. She said oh no, don't do that!! You don't know if they'll take as good care of her as you do! Plus she would still be laying eggs there as well. She said it is birds on a seed diet who have egg binding problems usually so as long as Emily is eating well and exercising, she should be okay. She said she undertands the frustration of not being able to stop this behavior. She doesn't do the suprelorin.

Conversation shifted to the caiques and the possible problems in the bird room. She said the emergency vet wants both of them IF it comes to that, and they had thought they would keep them in a huge cage in the new addition in the clinic (under construction) and have all the staff socialize them all day long and let them fly around the new break room :D
When i was picturing this I felt a bit teary :hehe: but of course that is not in the plan. But it might be an interesting life for some rescue birds.....like if someone leaves a cape at my doorstep :p
(yes it has been suggested, not a cape though....a cockatoo someone wanted to rehome

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was in with LScoot today getting a resplint of his fracture and we got to talking about Emily. Since she had made a comment on a prior visit that too bad Emily is not a breeder bird, I mentioned I had been checking into sending her off to boarding school...er ... breeding school. She said oh no, don't do that!! You don't know if they'll take as good care of her as you do! Plus she would still be laying eggs there as well. She said it is birds on a seed diet who have egg binding problems usually so as long as Emily is eating well and exercising, she should be okay. She said she undertands the frustration of not being able to stop this behavior. She doesn't do the suprelorin.

Conversation shifted to the caiques and the possible problems in the bird room. She said the emergency vet wants both of them IF it comes to that, and they had thought they would keep them in a huge cage in the new addition in the clinic (under construction) and have all the staff socialize them all day long and let them fly around the new break room :D
When i was picturing this I felt a bit teary :hehe: but of course that is not in the plan. But it might be an interesting life for some rescue birds.....like if someone leaves a cape at my doorstep :p
(yes it has been suggested, not a cape though....a cockatoo someone wanted to rehome
:hug8:....are you weak for a Cape parrot?:p

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
:omg: Was she serious about Jojo and Chickie? I know you would never do that. Saroj they havent been aggressive since you have had them, have they? This little incident could happen to any of us. As for Emily I am happy with what your vet said. I know it is easier said than done because it isnt me dealing with egg laying but I think you should just keep providing Emily the wonderful home she has and try to not focus on the egg laying and maybe it will stop on its own like it did for Danita's Bea. :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

nope :D
Anything that shows up at my door is going straight to the vet.....cape, cockatoo, whatever...
no room at the inn!:p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

p.s. I'll just enjoy Lola :heart: and the other cape girlies on the Avenue vicariously!:D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

nope :D
Anything that shows up at my door is going straight to the vet.....cape, cockatoo, whatever...
no room at the inn!:p
Or we'll find a way for that girlie Cape to cross the border to me ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
p.s. I'll just enjoy Lola :heart: and the other cape girlies on the Avenue vicariously!:D

I agree that this is sufficient for me as well.:p Besides, I couldn't afford Lola's lifestyle.:hehe:

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
Does Emily lay eggs in one specific spot or no? Iggy did that for a while and once I moved her water bowl to that spot she stopped completely.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Gracie Cockatiel laid eggs reliably every season from the first year I got her until she turned 9 years old. Doing all the changes with lights, food, sleep, etc helped cut down the number of eggs, but she never stopped completely until she turned 9. Then, no eggs. Lots of mating with her Chip up to the day he died, but no eggs. I stopped her and Chip raising chicks after five years; she got run down raising a cluch every year and it was only a hobby for me. I kept all but five of the babies she and Chip had and those five went to very good friends. I would never breed birds again, knowing what I know now. Gracie's granddaughter lays eggs all the time but I don't allow her to hatch them.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Glad to hear about Emily, I have never had a chronic egg layer so I have no idea what you are dealing with but I also know that Emily will have the best life possible living with you- :heart:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

still waiting at the airport for those cakes (tapping foot impatiently :lol: )

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am glad you are keeping Emily with you for sure..you realize of course that four clutches a year is normal and not considered chronic.....Sam is definitely chronic..as for the seed diet ..well I agree that an ALL seed diet could cause egg binding just as an ALL pellet diet could...no seed or pellet is good in and of itself...but of course you give them lots of other nutritious good foods...

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
lol for some reason I can't picture you with a cockatoo!

You know I went through the egg laying and prolapse with Kiwi...I did everything I possibly could for her:) Unfortunately there was not a happy ending, but I could not imagine anyone else caring for her the way I did. You keep doing what you can for Emily...she is so lucky to have you.:hug8:

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
Any bird would be lucky to live with you. Feel free to adopt all the cockatiels in the world! They could definitely use a better home. You are one of the most devoted bird owners I see on the board!

Status
Not open for further replies.