• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fungus keeps growing on cage bottom

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
@Rolanda They usually like to grab a pellet and climb to a perch and eat it, so I've never seen poop near their feeder. But, they also like to sit in the feeder and kick all the food out with their feet, which is such a waste, but birds will be birds. :facepalm:

We don't have newspaper delivered to our doorstep, so paper towels is really my only option. I'll look into checking my local starbucks though. I found a huge stash of left over puppy pee pads from when our dog was a puppy. I loved them!! Too bad they ran out or else I would go back to those.

I go to work really early in the morning. I used to have a Starbucks addiction:o:. I only stop occasionally now. I asked them if I could have the newspapers if they were still in the 'sharing bin in the morning. When I go in if there are some there I take them. They are supposed to be recycled by the night crew but they rarely do it. So I recycle them. It's usually whole papers leftover from the previous day.:)

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
JMHO, take bird to the vet for fecal culture. one question: paper towels you are using is there any color designs in them? if there is use all white paper towels.
No, they're all white. I'll take you up on the vet suggestion~

I go to work really early in the morning. I used to have a Starbucks addiction:o:. I only stop occasionally now. I asked them if I could have the newspapers if they were still in the 'sharing bin in the morning. When I go in if there are some there I take them. They are supposed to be recycled by the night crew but they rarely do it. So I recycle them. It's usually whole papers leftover from the previous day.:)

That's a good idea! I always see leftover papers in my local starbucks, I'll definitely ask if I can have them.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Im glad you'll be having the vet do a poop check :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Just a comment. I have known several people through the years that try to re use the "wasted" food. THe hygiene has already been addressed so not commenting on that. Just that you may consider switching to a smaller pellet for less waste. Or if it is because you are trying to save money, it is usually more cost effective to order foods in larger quantities.
Unfortunately birds are very wasteful. If you feel bad about the waste, you could give it to the wild birds like I do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are naturally messy. It's part of their niche. The food they throw in the wild would fertilize the trees and also feed other animals below that could not otherwise reach. Smaller pellets can certainly help, but you will never eliminate the mess entirely!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Do you have time to take Diell to the vet before you leave? It just seems weird to me that all your other birds are fine and don't grow fungus on the bottom of their cages.........but Diell has ALWAYS had fungus grow on the bottom of her cage. It just seems to me, to lead to her poop. A poop culture might be helpful. You'd have peace of mind leaving her with your parents since you are going to be gone so long.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
@nu2birds Will do! I will figure out something in the week before I go, and if I can't schedule anything in time, my parents aren't going anywhere so they'll be free.

Wasabidasavage

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Wasabi is my bird
I've been having this issue ever since I brought Diell home almost a year ago. Fungus just LOVES to grow out of this birdy's poop. I just don't understand it. She's a perfectly healthy bird, but the fungus always comes back. I've never had this issue in all of my 7 years of owning birds. When Eris was alone in the cage, there was no fungus. Diell comes along and the fungus suddenly shows up. There's nothing on the cage bottom but poop and pellet crumbs (which all pile directly under the feeder, so I put a tiny saucer under the cage grate under the feeder that catches the wasted crumbs so I can put them back in the feeder). Fruits/veggies aren't ever left on the cage bottom.

I clean the cage bottom about once a week, but the fungus grows back within a matter of 2-3 days. Last week I took the entire tray and pressure-hosed it with soap and all. Put several layers of towel roll in it and popped it back in the cage.

3 days later, fungus!! It grows directly on top of the poop and spreads from there.

I do not mind having to frequently keep up with cleaning the fungus, but I am leaving for Albania in less than 2 weeks and I will be gone for 2 months. I am leaving my birds in my family's care. A couple weeks ago I shifted my birds to those glass water bottles that hang on the cage's side and rabbit gravity feeders so that they won't suffer if my parents forget to feed them for a day. As a result, Eris no longer has the ability to splash water everywhere and make the cage bottom moist and humid. I thought this would solve the fungus problem, but even with a dry cage bottom, the fungus keeps coming back. I don't want to force my parents to clean poopy fungus every day for 2 months straight. I'm at a loss of what to do.

Is there any material that I can use temporarily over those 2 months that would prevent the fungus?
ive got the same problem as well with my green cheek conure. so paper is the solution right. THX

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use butcher paper for the cage tray and a piece for the floor in front of the cage for poops. They are changed everyday

RLH

@~Drini~ Did you ever find out what caused the mold on your bird’s poop? I just noticed my Amazon’s poop had mold growing on it Our house is dry, so I can’t figure it out. Going to talk to the vet tomorrow. Just wanted to see if you got it figured out. Thanks!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Does changing the bottom papers every day help? I know that if I miss picking up a piece of fruit they have flung somewhere it gets mold on it pretty quickly too.

Cday2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cday2
I have an outdoor flight for my plumheads in the spring and summer. I use sand on the bottom and scoop like kitty litter for years, never a problem, nothing, nada. I was feeding roudybush back then and never had a problem with pellets flung to the ground. We all know how they throw food. When roudybush changed their formula I immediately noticed a white fungus on top of the pellets on the ground overnight. Its humid here in florida and the sand gets wet while watering. I stopped all roudybush the moment I decided it was the pellets causing the growth of this white fungus. Check what you are feeding your birds.

RLH

@EkkieLu Thanks for replying! Changing the papers daily does help from having any mold grow at the bottom. I am definitely going to keep that up and get my sitters to do the same when I am gone! I am just worried there might be something wrong with her medically that could cause this to happen. Also worried that the exposure to the mold could cause aspergillosis Scary!

RLH

@Cday2 Thank you for replying! I usually feed her chop in the morning, which does get flung everywhere The only change I made to her chop is adding soaked and cooked beans to the mix. Sometimes my other bird isn’t into his chop, so I put it in the food compost. After a couple days I have noticed the chop growing a white mold on it. I thought that was probably what was growing at the bottom the first time I noticed mold, but the next time it was on just on one of her poop spots at the bottom of the cage. And this mold was dark. I immediately sprayed it with F10 and got rid of it! She has a vet appointment on Wednesday. We’ll see happens.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
@EkkieLu Thanks for replying! Changing the papers daily does help from having any mold grow at the bottom. I am definitely going to keep that up and get my sitters to do the same when I am gone! I am just worried there might be something wrong with her medically that could cause this to happen. Also worried that the exposure to the mold could cause aspergillosis Scary!
Exactly! Keeping their cages and living spaces as clean as possible is extremely important for their health. My birds are extremely messy eaters, so keeping up with their messes is a morning and evening ritual for me. I always ask Who Did This? But the only response I ever get is I Don't Know! Lol

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I change papers here each night. I use newspaper and cover everyone's grates. I am glad I have none that want to shred the paper. I think changing the papers more often should remedy the issue.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I change papers twice a day, and also have night poop papers which I remove every morning.
And I also clean (with a cloth) my cages every day if they have been eating any kind of fresh food their.
I have never seen any mold in my cages ever.