• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fun Places to take your fids

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hi everyone!

I was wondering where you guys like to take your birds when you go out - we have an appointment for Ollie but will have about an hour to kill in the area before the appointment, so I was thinking of taking her to a store or something (hopefully a park if it is nice out). :D

I know popular spots are Petsmart/Petco and Home Depot/Lowes, I was wondering where else your fids like to go!

:ittalks!:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't take mine in anywhere. We do go for walks around the block and to parks to sit at picnic benches and enjoy the day. I have nervous poopers and don't really want to clean up their mess in a store. Plus, I don't take them anywhere that other parrots are likely to be to prevent disease transmission.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When Chaos would wear a harness he went many places. Stores, parks, fairs and festivals.

He got in the newspaper and on TV once.

Several stores knew him well. He was very well behaved and loved outings.

Sadly one winter I didn't use the harness regularly, and the next summer he said "nope, not for me".

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have nervous poopers and don't really want to clean up their mess in a store.
:rofl: Me, too! Buzzard pooped 7 times last night while we were just looking out the window! :rolleyes:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A park, just to sit down and relax is my advice. Take some treats with you that she loves and make this trip positive for her.
You do want her to be calm and not tired if she has an appointment after.
Plus, I don't take them anywhere that other parrots are likely to be to prevent disease transmission.
I am the same. Their health will always comes first. And as long as their still is deadly diseases with no treatment I will continue doing that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You really need to be careful about fumes in Home Depot and Lowes. PetSmart and Petco are absolute no nos for me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I like to take mine to sit outside when it is nice and quiet if the sun is shining. I do not think we are allowed to take any kind of animal into shops and stores here......there are a few exceptions to that like possibly some pet stores/stock feed suppliers but I am fairly sure if I tried to walk into a store like a Target store with my bird I would be asked to leave. I am not positive about that so I may call a few stores to see if they would allow my bird in there as I am now curious.....the only place I would really like to take him is into the fruit and vegetable shop :)

I hope you find something fun for you and Ollie to do while you wait for your appointment.

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Thanks everybirdie! :hug8:

Ollie loves to be outside, still getting used to her harness (getting it on can be challenging) but once she's outside she's so excited for everything. I'm hoping for sunshine so we can go sit in a park or outside at a cafe.

@melissasparrots @faislaq nervous poopers :rofl:

I am always a little nervous when I see photos or videos of birds in certain stores - @Hankmacaw I see so many photos of birds going to home improvement stores and I always worried about the fumes and chemicals. With pet stores I definitely worry about other animals.

Currently our forecast on the day of is cloudy but no rain, so hopefully we can just enjoy some fresh air together :D

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I take Leo to Walmart all the time. He loves it. You would be surprised how many people either don't see him or think he is a toy. When people ask if he is real half the time I say yes and the other half I say I got him over in the toy section and keep going on my way. Lol. gotta spice up life sometimes!