• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Full spectrum lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering if Java's light is close enough to him. It's a Featherbrite, and I have it turned on 7 days a week from 8:30am-3:15pm. Is it enough? Also, what is the best brand of lighting for a parrot? Ideally, I would like to take him outside everyday but we haven't gotten there yet. The distance between him and the light is 22inches or 56cm
20180625_132758.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It doesn't do anything unless it's super close (like 8 inches) and then its minimal at best, adn then your bird is at risk for eye damage. My article goes over this a bit, and includes a video about why those bulbs are a waste of money. Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting. I've been using the light for about 3 months and I haven't noticed any sort of difference, but I just figured it would take some time. If it serves no purpose, and can be damaging if he looks at it often, then I'll look into other measures, even if that means taking him outside often. I just want to make sure I'm providing all of the necessary options for his physical and mental well-being.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Since they do need meat unlike other parrots I would maybe make sure to feed ones that have D3 in it. Egg yolks, maybe freeze dried beef liver for treats, fatty fishes like salmon and tuna.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since they do need meat unlike other parrots I would maybe make sure to feed ones that have D3 in it. Egg yolks, maybe freeze dried beef liver for treats, fatty fishes like salmon and tuna.
What about pellets? I use Harrison's High Potency fine, and he gets a tablespoon about 3x a week while the rest of the time is vegetables and grains (quinoa, whole oats, barley, brown rice, amaranth) with a piece of fruit every now and then. He also gets nuts (almond, Brazil, and pecan) and seeds (hemp, chia and flax). Lately I've cut back on his fruit because he was getting more than he should've and not enough vegetables

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Absolutely pellets! :)