• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full spectrum LED lighting

Meeting neighbors
I am new here. I tried searching but couldn’t find any recent information. I have been using Featherbrite compact fluorescent full spectrum lights for my bird for several years. But they have recently stopped making them and now make a combination of two LED lights. Has anyone tried their new bulbs? I can’t seem to find many reviews on the internet. Thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I just posted a thread about this and it contains some excellent info. Let me see if I can link.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Karen don't you use the Featherbrite bulbs?

Meeting neighbors
My concern with the new Featherbrite LED is that it’s only 6W and 660 lumens. That doesn’t seem bright enough to replace the old CFL at 1250 lumens. I emailed the manufacturer, and they say it is approximately the same output as their old 15W CFL. I have also looked at Waveform, but their brightness seems limited.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I got the new Featherbrite and it seems worthless. I ended up getting the ZooMed lamp instead after a lot of help from @Ripshod and so far I'm happy with it. I ordered the actual floor lamp and the bulb all together as a set.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just had to cheat and look back but yes, what featherbrite list as their LED UV needs to be used alongside their full spectrum bulb.
Leih opted to go with the Avian Sun 5.0 which is a great lamp.
There is great debate about the effectiveness of the UV lamps and I do admit the levels of UV-B are well below what we want, but a little is better than none.
My birds get D3 supplements in their food so I'm not bothered by that. I use avian lights for the improved lighting levels and the UV-A to help them see.
@Leih I'm waiting for an update on your lighting thread - any observations?

Meeting neighbors
I built my own custom light stand several years ago. The Avian Sun bulb would fit in it with no problem. I wonder if it’s going to be too bright, because I have very limited clearance between the top of the cage and the ceiling. I will investigate it further, thanks.

Meeting neighbors
Leih, What specifically were the problems with the Featherbrite, if I can ask? I am trying to make my lamp setup fit in the new bird room (Low ceilings) and I am not sure that I can fit the Avian Sun after all. Thanks in advance.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Just had to cheat and look back but yes, what featherbrite list as their LED UV needs to be used alongside their full spectrum bulb.
Leih opted to go with the Avian Sun 5.0 which is a great lamp.
There is great debate about the effectiveness of the UV lamps and I do admit the levels of UV-B are well below what we want, but a little is better than none.
My birds get D3 supplements in their food so I'm not bothered by that. I use avian lights for the improved lighting levels and the UV-A to help them see.
@Leih I'm waiting for an update on your lighting thread - any observations?
I'm not sure yet, I don't think I've used it for long enough, but I do think my linnies are more active. My lovebird is always busy and my conure gets actual outside time so my main concern was the linnies.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Leih, What specifically were the problems with the Featherbrite, if I can ask? I am trying to make my lamp setup fit in the new bird room (Low ceilings) and I am not sure that I can fit the Avian Sun after all. Thanks in advance.
Well I only bought the "blue bulb" which is intended to ve used in addition to the LED bulb. It looks quite dim and after reading the specs it just doesn't seem like enough output. So I really can't speak to the LED itself. I was also concerned about flicker and having the correct type of fixture to properly use it, and still stay within a budget, so when I found the Avian Sun at about $40 for both the floor lamp and bulb I went for it. As far as the specifics of the lamp, both mechanical and actual output etc, I don't really understand. (I love learning but I just don't have room in my brain right now). My apartment is so dark and it's usually cloudy here, so I figured it can't hurt.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I don't know a lot about the lighting but have read you must b careful of the distance and direction of the full spectrum lights because they can cause blindness in birds

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I don't know a lot about the lighting but have read you must b careful of the distance and direction of the full spectrum lights because they can cause blindness in birds
Oh yes, definitely shouldn't be aimed from the side. I keep mine about 2' away .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The lights should not be from the side because the bird can look into the direct lighting. To my understanding should be overhead.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I know someone posted about this a while back on this forum but I can't find it. From what I remember the light exposure should have a limit and the distance can't be very close. It mentioned blindness and cataracts. So, if you use them, I would do a bunch of research as to the proper use

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ultra violet bulbs go by many names and manufacturers. There was an article recently on news of one employee put wrong ultra violet bulb in and everyone couldn't understand why they were getting blisters and eye blisters.
Always make sure it's the right bulb.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ultra violet bulbs go by many names and manufacturers. There was an article recently on news of one employee put wrong ultra violet bulb in and everyone couldn't understand why they were getting blisters and eye blisters.
Always make sure it's the right bulb.
That is a very good point. The correct bulb used correctly.
I was in a pet store a couple of years ago to witness and prevent a member of staff trying to sell a reptile lamp to a lady for her linnies. Glad I was there, those things cause direct injury and eye damage.