• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustration over food

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
after 5 months of trying to get cheeky to change pellets I gave up and bought more medium fruity zupreem , date as far away from suspected food I could get. So this morning I opened new bag and it looked and smelled good and I gave her some. She looked at it and pushed it around in her bowl and left it. She goes back, starts banging her bowl and then eats a couple of the banana shaped ones. She usually leaves those for last. I'm concerned so I eat some and it tastes like always. It's been an hour and a half and it's still the same. She keeps staring at it and trying to toss her bowl. I can't see, smell, or taste anything different. Anyone ever had this happen? This is the way she treated every other different pellet I tried

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
My birds have pellets as a supplement, so not sure if Cheeky is not eating or just not eating her pellets, but I know mine go through periods where they dont like foods they generally like. I try to change it up for them, by offering the same pellets but adding other things into the mix, like dried fruits, veggies, nuts, pasta, etc. Are you offering her the new fruities with whatever else she had been offered before the new bag?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you usually give in and give her some seeds or something else? She might just be waiting for something better. Jingo did that to me! They're good at training us

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
She always gets her fruits and veges in a different bowl and seeds as a treat only. She was happily eating the last of her pellets when I put in the new ones. She acts like she doesn't recognize them as being her "chosen pellets". She stares at them like she did to all the other pellets I tried as if to say"you're giving me WHAT !!! "

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I mix my pellets with about 5% of a Volkman seed mix. If I forget or If they don't see the seed on top.........they grab that stainless steel bowl and bang it up and down. I can hear it from any room in the house, LOL. So I go in and we have a little "chat" about manners and PATIENCE and giving daddy a break sometimes. LOL They absolutely eat all their seed first and then reluctantly graze on pellets.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Perhaps try Some new pellets of a different brand? My fids sometimes stop liking things they loved before. Then they choose something new for a few weeks and then they change to what they originally loved:lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo goes through pellet strikes. I've learned that if I give him pellets first thing in the morning and then give him his fresh foods later in the day, he is more likely to eat the pellets.

I've also started to overall offer him less food. If I give him a bowl full of pellets he won't eat any, but if I give him only a tbsp, he will eat most of them.

I also found he preferred a shallow wide bowl to a narrow deep bowl. So I've been using the lixit bath bowl as a food bowl.

Pictures - Lixit Bath + Ceramic Bowl = | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Im very curious to know what the pellets taste like... do each have a different flavour when you ate them?

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
They kinda taste like a cheerio or bran flake. I could eat them in a bowl of milk. Other brands were more blah. Well, I just got back home with a new bag of zupreem fruit, different date, and put this in her cage. She went for them right away and is still eating. Now I'm wondering what's up with the bag she wouldn't eat. When she needs more I'm gonna try that bag again and see if she eats or still refuses it. It may have been a fluke or there might be something off about that bag. Oh, about the flavor, all the colors taste the same

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I try to change it up for them, by offering the same pellets but adding other things into the mix, like dried fruits, veggies, nuts, pasta, etc.
Sherman has only lived with me 2 weeks and already her preferences have changed. She has a new favorite each week. Last week it was bell peppers; this week, carrots. JoJo, the budgie, is the only bird that ever liked the same thing daily. Chloe changed about biweekly; George, monthly.
The best advice ever was this:
Try eating the same thing 3×daily every day of the week and see how fast you look for something different!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My conures have never been fussy with their pellets, though they do show preference to certain ones.

Zupreem naturals they eat.

Tropican theyll only eat outside of their cage (usually on Java tree).

Roudybush they're very eager about and will generally savour it (eating very slow).