• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrating day

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I post about progress so it’s only fair I post about set backs.

I have thought we were doing well but today I discovered that I’m not that interesting. Lol.

Pavi has been very willing to come out of his cage and sit near and listen to me read the news or watch videos or read these forums to him.

Today I went in and forgot to take my phone. I sat there and carried on a conversation with him much as would if I was reading. He never even came to the cage door. He stayed in the back of his cage playing with a toy.

Just to test the theory I went and got my phone and just randomly googled stuff without speaking. The little booger came out as soon as he saw the phone....... my bird has successfully bonded with an IPhone :blink:

He’s not getting anymore phone time.

He wanted nothing to do with stepping up on a perch today and pretty much proved he’ll only step on my hand or arm if he’s on the floor and needs help. I guess we aren’t as far along as I had thought.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My dad always used to tell me " Patience is a virture". It truly is. It's ok if Pavi wants to do his own thing. We aren't the same every day ... good days, bad days, quiet days... they really aren't either. Some birds just like to have company in the same room because it breaks up the monotony of their day. Maybe if you fiddled with toys while you were talking it may peak his interest and he'll want to come over and check it out. Enjoy sharing the space with your feathered buddy. :)

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
HAHA The conure boys love my phone more than me or so it seems. I've left the phone near their open cage and heard that they make more phone calls than me. My friends have told me that conure texts are lots more fun than mine.
My phone is becoming their favorite toy. I've considered buying them a fake one but they like the lights and voices! There's lots to peck and chew on, too.
The others just stare or lunge at it like "It's that phone, again. She'll probably want to take another picture or video." Not these two! They WANT their pics taken and even will try to get too close.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dont feel bad. Merlin,,,my IRN, loves my phone , when I pull it out hes all over it..he actually has sent " birdie" texts to my boss, and friends :meh:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Morgan, an African Grey I read about in a book, can use a phone. She presses one of two speed dial buttons whenever she feels like a chat. The speed dial buttons are to her two favorite people, her groomer and her owner's girlfriend.
Might try to teach my very-near-future bird something like this...

My two LOVE speed dial! I need to remove it! Teach your bird to use the phone and it never ends! At first, my bird thought it was funny, but now, it's mostly, "Control your birds, please." (Maybe Daytona should text our mayor! Or better yet, hang up on her!)

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Haha. Glad to see Pavi isn’t the only phone obsessed bird!

I think I pressured him too much toward the end of last week. I brought in a small play gym from the bird room after a thorough steaming and he was terrified of it. He will finally hop off the perch on to it and play but I do have to move him to it. He will indicate he wants to fly to it but he doesn’t trust his landings enough to try on his on. (And having witnessed those landings I can’t say that I blame him) He’s still uncomfortable stepping up so even though I’m taking him somewhere he wants to go, it’s still pressure. I’m going to try a different set up but as he is currently in my bedroom it’s tough because he has to go past me to get to things and he’s not willing to do that just yet.

I’m not sure when to introduce him to the bird room and the hellions that live there. That room is currently a hotbed of hormones and squabbles and if Remy and Cabo can’t bite at each other they bite me just to express their displeasure. I’m about to black out some windows and tell them it’s winter OMG. But a baby bird in that stew can’t happen right now. They scare me lol so I can only imagine the trauma to a baby. Jeez.

I know what to do but patience is a luxury I don’t have atm anywhere in my life so it’s difficult to practice patience with Pavi. I’ve never ever had a hand fed baby. Every bird I have ever owned were re homes from less than adequate situations so I’ve tamed many. THIS time was supposed to be different and it actually appears that I pulled a baby out of a less than adequate situation. Once, I would love for one to come here just ready to be a pet lol. So for that reason, frustration builds from time to time.

I don’t regret him. He’s adorable. And I very much appreciate the continued support from all of you!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Every bird I have ever owned were re homes from less than adequate situations so I’ve tamed many. THIS time was supposed to be different and it actually appears that I pulled a baby out of a less than adequate situation. Once, I would love for one to come here just ready to be a pet lol. So for that reason, frustration builds from time to time.

I don’t regret him. He’s adorable. And I very much appreciate the continued support from all of you!

I can relate. My father told me to always have a breeder baby in the house for your own sanity. Good advice!?! At least one bird loves you totally, right!?! Apparently, he wasn't exactly right.

My IRN isn't the sweetheart people speak of! Stay strong and remember that rescuing saves lives!!!

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I know. And every time I get frustrated with Pavitr (or really myself and the situation not with him). I think of Glenn and feel I have no reason to complain.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I want you to know that I love Glenn even more because he's not perfect. He's his own little man. He knows what he wants but is sometimes confused how to get it. Glenn thinks he can get his way by hurting himself or others. My other birds want to be cute and perform even ask for they want. Glenn just expects it.

No doubt, Glenn's is a lonely life. He's more like royalty than people may realize. He's truly the King of Mean and sadly, will prove it.

The lady that had Glenn before the AV didn't know he was special and even needed a special diet. She just didn't know and assumed he was just a "bad" bird. After years of being so mistreated, he just gave in.

The sad part now is all my hopes for Glenn are twisted. I learned a big lesson. I'm not as important as I thought. It took a tiny bird to put me in my place.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I think Glenn is very devoted to you and is afraid to tell you. After all, what did it ever get him? I do believe that one day Glen will give up this attitude and come to trust you.

Think of how long it took Glenn to get to the bird he is. It will take a very long time for it to be undone in his mind.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thank you. Glenn is loyal in his own way. Glenn proves over and over why older birds are the best! Many times I've said that rescues are some of the most loyal birds I've ever had.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Leslie you are such a sweetie. :hug8:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie