• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hurray!!! One small step at a time. Having her step up on the stick as a part of her daily routine will gain her trust in it and it will be a great alternative for transport. Good girl Lucy!!! :giveme5:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Just realized your fid was an amazon! :backout: no wonder you want to use a stick! :scared1:I suggest welding gloves and a space suit as well! :toofunny:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It's amazing how birds are so individual. You really have to tailor training to the individual. An Amazon that doesn't like treats??? Didn't see that one coming, lol. Good luck with stick training her. Sounds like you're over the hurdle! :)

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@Lodah LOL Yes Lucy is a Yellow Nape female, welding gloves and space suit would probably give her a heart attack.
Shes scared of everything, she is 3 times the size of Mango our Senegal and he is scared of nothing. I think sometimes I hear him laughing at her when shes scared
of something. I have had her since she was 3 months old and have spent alot of time working with her. (She turns 1 year old in 8 days) She really is sweet and everyone in my family can handle her and
she steps up for people who visit. Im hoping the hormones wont be so bad when they do get here, but only time can tell.

@aooratrix Lucy does like treats, but getting her to do things for treats is another thing. We've had more success teaching her things by just using
praise and laughter with her. The more you laugh and praise her the more she tries to do what you were teaching her.
She of course gets treats too, but this is just how we have the most success with her so far.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Having owned a cockatiel for 15 years didn't prepare me for an amazon much at all.
You used to drive a Toyota with 60 horsepower. Now you drive a Ferrari that has 600 horsepower. It takes a little getting used to but once you conquer the throttle there's nothing like raw horsepower. :lol:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@JLcribber lol yeah that about sums it up, sometimes she can go from sweet and innocent to flared tail and killer in mere seconds.
Shes mostly all bluff though, at least to me. My 21 yr old son decided to ignore it one day and found out she wasnt bluffing.
But Id rather be bitten by her than my Senegal, his beak is sharp and he doesnt let go. He has drawn blood a few times, Lucy
at least doesnt bury the point in you and chew like he does, she grabs you and then lets go.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@txdyna65 : if praise works, go for it! We all are motivated by different things. Go with what works. That's one of my mottos...along with not my circus, not my monkeys. ;)

My Morgan is a DYA, another of the "hot 3", although that term is applied to the males of those species most often. One thing I consciously chose to do is to interact with her with no expectation of the aggressive/hormonal generalization ever happening. So far, it hasn't, and she'll be 21 next month. As I've said before, she's bitten me twice in all those years together. Both times, my ex-SIL tried to step her up from my hand.

Do I have a laid back DYA? Probably. However, I think our expectations can become reality, and you don't want to unintentionally communicate trepidation. Enjoy her, be confident, and adjust if you have to do so.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would try attaching a stick to the outside of the cage, then talk and laugh at her, with you on the other side of the stick. Then do the same thing, except with your hand near the end of the stick. Then touching the end of the stick. Then holding the end of the stick (still attached to the cage!). Then work on that same approach, but holding the stick (not attached to the cage now), resting on the cage.

Or...... what about using a rope perch and just put the two ends together to make a tear-drop like shape? Might be less scary?

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Its been another 3 weeks and we have made great progress. I finally found a perch Lucy isnt scared of and she gets on and off of it without
trying to fly away or bite it. We did this a few times tonight and she got on the perch every time. I put her on her stand and gave her an almond in the shell.
So proud of her, not only in her progress with this but having lots of patience with me lol
Here are some pictures, not great because once out of the cage she wants on my hand, and her enjoying the almond.

Lucy perch 5.JPG Lucy perch 6.JPG

Lucy almond.JPG

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Looks great ...keep up the good work :)

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
If you don't have any issues with her now and she steps up for you why are you creating issues????????? If she is being as good as gold, why push something she does not like and you don't have a need for, at least for now? Maybe in a year or so, reassess things then.
I totally agree... If it ain't broke why try and fix it? By the way pretty bird!!! Then I say the pics good job on the training haha!

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You did a great job training her! That should be very useful in the future.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Thanks Matt, I hope I wont need it in the future but at least I know she will do it now.
She is stepping up every time now on the perch and lets me bring her out. She still would rather be on my hand which is fine too.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@VictoryCC124
This is what worked for me, Lucy is still scared of new things and really doesnt like the stick but she will step up on it now but prefers the hand.
She hasnt been hormonal yet, but getting her on the stick has really helped my wife when Im gone for work.
Shes able to take her out and weigh her and take her to the shower.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@VictoryCC124

Best of luck to you with this. I couldn't make it without a stick here with my two.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Txdyna65!

Hi! Nice to meet you! I' ve been watching this thread off & on. Great work! Proud of you both. The pics turned out well. I'm having the same type of fear issues with Buddy. Little different scenario. I got him @ guesstimate 21/22 years. He's a MRH zon. Acquired due to a death.
In general He's interested but scared. He seems to be very patient on days when his hormones do not have him bouncing mood - mood. It seems to be settling but tomorrow we may be going fruom 60° - 80+ °. An new thimg there Lol!

I came across a shooter marble that's my kids. A situation where she moved out but 3/4 of her stuff is still here.
Buddy is in her room which I'm trying to box up in amongst all the insanity of an estate, my fur baby :cat: to the great beyond, along w/Bud's original owner & trying to integrate a routine for him.

Anywho... (The marble) He's afraid of it just to look @ it! If I show it to him. Place it in a plastic cup. Say all gone & show him my empty hands. He settles down. Because I believe its a glass marble, I will not leave in his cage. If I place it on his perch door & lay it between the bars & slide it he seems to be interested slightly afraid as long as he is looking down on it from afar. (In cage & above on main perch bar). If on the door if place it on one end of for & he's diagonally on other end he starts to go into the cage. He's very obviously afraid & try's to bolt. If I snatch it up & play the game of disappearance (below) He stays & settles back.

So the gamd w/ him is now thru-out the day. This has been going on for 4/5 days. Yet every once in awhile hes scared but still he seems curious. A few days before that he saw me pickup a bangle bracelet my kid left in some laundry. He did not like it At All! It went far away & I do not touch it.

I hate to say it, but I fear his baby training may not have been any fun for him. I fear it may have bad mental experience for him. I am going @ the pace of a snails crawl with him to just so hes comfortble right now, & keep some agrssiveness at bay. I'm hoping @ some point he will step up on my hand but I'm not going to push (I like my hand!).

Example: I believe I found his old stick, I was really scared to show it to him, the hubby & I had a long discussion & it was that "old college try" concept. His cage was closed I waited for a good evening when his hormones did not have him angry. I just held it out in front of my chest shoulder area. As soon as he saw it I realized immediately it was a bad move. He puffed out in an angry posed & made a mess of angry & sad noises. I made it disappear under the cage, said all gone, hands empty pose & talked to him quietly. He settled down! He seemed sad after that so I made sure we played & sang a bit. During this I leaned... Quickly tucked it under my shirt, in the front, wiggled it to my jean pocket (all under) the shirt & then left w/ it outta site. I gave it to the hubby. Told him nowhere near the baby, it's yours now! He hates it, or very upset by it.

I guess even tho this is all to new for my advice, a Huge

:toyou:

For your trials & errors & the courage to keep trying til you found the Click of light for her.

I do think by taking the lead, but using the Lucy's body language to assist in the situation. While being patient w/ them both as & a mix of our stories... This will make everyone happy in the end.

I find this all quite difficult, I have no patience(He's teaching me too!). I know they do not love the same way we do, & there is as fear w/ in myself along w/ that love to him. I hide the fear as seems to be showing more love that's going both wayds. As I think its happening in your flock based on your writings. I just hope I'm doing this right! (In the end who can say). Its an Adventure for sure! Lol!

:gbh: to your successes in CA
Rain

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Thank you for the nice comments Rain, and a big hello to you too :)
As stubborn as Lucy can be, one of the qualities I love about her is her patience with me or it sure seems she has patience.
Ive made a ton of mistakes with her but she seems to forgive and forget.
I can look back on this thread now and laugh a little and remember what we went through getting her on the stick, but it sure was hard then.
She readily steps on her stick now, but keeping her on it is another thing. She likes to be on the fingers and if she ever gets a foot on
you, you might as well give in.....or take a crow bar and pry her off lol
She is my sweety and I enjoy her more and more all the time.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy has considered going to my shoulder. It starts with him making moves from his door w/in his cage out for his "Evening adventure" (explained by before bed playtime). Usually he goes to the top of the cage. Every few days = out the door ! He roams around usually comes to his door sometimes he walks down to the tippy end of it. That's hen he views my shoulder, considers, I move away & say ah ah no I don't think so. He usually reconsiders then goes to beak @ the door latch, or backs off with a "treat, I was good!" Look on his face.

:lol:

Personally, I think what happens in his head is really :angel4:

Haha! Yes, I'm also amazed how patient he really is too! I will also say that he seems to forgive me, he will tell me (show me) when I do something wrong. My minor offense's are given warnings which I pay attention to. Luckily for me, when focusing on his diet I tripped on body language of a bird, especially parrots. I do not know or even want to imagine this w/ a baby, that doesn't know its strength I'm not sure I could cope with the noise alone. Tee Hee!

This is just FYI for those that may ask & so I don't get yelled at:
The perch door, It's strung so that it does not go down the face of the cage. He only is allowed to do this supervised. His last owner had it this way & seeing change was difficult for him, I've left it this way. Personally I hate the cage in general but its safest for him when I'm not with him. Once the room is packed it will not be a bad place for him till I find a good place to move him between that has no drafts. I'm asking alot of this'd almost 100 year house!

I can only hope for your strides in the future! BTW :sorry:
I must have misread the LA in your location as a CA. Has it been seasonally warm in Texas?

Is here again this year in NY they are calling for Mid 80's tomorrow. If it hits 80° @ all it will be our warmest day here this year.

You should have a little bird :greet6: for Lucy excellence in stick climbing/walking.

:elefant:
Rain