• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated with my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
. She doesn't work, and would give me every excuse under the sun as to why it wasn't her fault. She's always been self-centered, and I highly doubt that it's going to change, unfortunately
Boy how does she survive in life without working? When I was 29 I had two kids one in 4th and 5th grade. I was working 70-80 hours a week! Granted that was a long long long time ago!
I went from this
5aa62a012da53b8b915071fd0f3ff758.jpg Yeah right in my dreams!
to look at me now!
9d8be30c9e3dbd5537db220320839a6c.jpg not realy but I sure feel like it sometimes! LOL!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You could also put some kind of sturdy perch on the door so he has a better spot to put his foot. They have their rules and sometimes they are hard to break.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What about seeing if one of our vendors could make a platform perch with the attachments on the back.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah, sisters. Aren't they the best. :rolleyes:

My Kamara has two deformed feet and gets caught easily like Java. She has a swing-down door at the top of her cage that she loves to sit on, so I made a little platform perch to put on top of it, with fasteners on the bottom to hold it to the cage bars. It makes her door nice and sturdy for her feet and prevents her getting hurt if she flies off.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn if you don't mind, what is her cage setup like? I'm always looking for ideas to make moving around and perching easier for my turkey bird

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn if you don't mind, what is her cage setup like? I'm always looking for ideas to make moving around and perching easier for my turkey bird
I'll try to get a picture of her setup once I have some room on my phone (which is currently full up of ten billion pet photos lmao). But basically, she's got a wide variety of platform perches in all her favourite spots, rope and vet wrap-bound branch perches that are nice and thick so that she doesn't have to wrap her mangled toes around them, and plenty of soft padding at the bottom of her cage so that if she falls, she won't have a dangerous landing. She is able to clamber around the sides of her cage using her claws, but I try to make bridges between her platform perches so she doesn't have to use the cage bars.
I've also got a few different water dishes high and low in her cage, so that she's able to drink without having to climb down to one bowl.

I really like your idea of having play mats around the floor to keep Java safe if he spooks off of his cage. I think I'll do that for Kamara too! :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to get a picture of her setup once I have some room on my phone (which is currently full up of ten billion pet photos lmao). But basically, she's got a wide variety of platform perches in all her favourite spots, rope and vet wrap-bound branch perches that are nice and thick so that she doesn't have to wrap her mangled toes around them, and plenty of soft padding at the bottom of her cage so that if she falls, she won't have a dangerous landing. She is able to clamber around the sides of her cage using her claws, but I try to make bridges between her platform perches so she doesn't have to use the cage bars.
I've also got a few different water dishes high and low in her cage, so that she's able to drink without having to climb down to one bowl.

I really like your idea of having play mats around the floor to keep Java safe if he spooks off of his cage. I think I'll do that for Kamara too! :)
The bridge with platform perches sounds like a great idea. I'll add a few since he always uses the cage bars to get around

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I realize this is a late response and you bought a padded cage, but for Sherman, I hit garage sales for receiving blankets They're held down with sisal.

Since she has twice ventured out, I keep a side door open and wove sisal through the bars on it to allow me to open/close it without any problems. On top, where the "gym" is, I wove sisal through. It'll give her something to grip (if she ever makes it up there) while letting light through and It allows her to hang on top from the inside.

A simple perch change and food bowl location changes allow her more and easier access while encouraging movement.

I joked with a friend that she scoots around slowly dragging one foot and stays hunched over like Quasimodo. HAHA

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I also found some material which you might be able to use in Java's cage. It's slightly quilted and was called utility fabric @ Joann's but when I looked it up by the item # on the receipt it's described as ironing board cover material. Quilted Ironing Board Cover Fabric 43” | JOANN

I'm sending you some (in the package I was supposed to send last week :ashamed3: )- I'm hoping you'll be able to use it because the description says it can be wiped off and the "ironing side" isn't rough like the real ironing board covers are. It's also machine washable. I was able to find a remnant so the price was even lower than what it says on Joann's website.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also found some material which you might be able to use in Java's cage. It's slightly quilted and was called utility fabric @ Joann's but when I looked it up by the item # on the receipt it's described as ironing board cover material. Quilted Ironing Board Cover Fabric 43” | JOANN

I'm sending you some (in the package I was supposed to send last week :ashamed3: - I'm hoping you'll be able to use it because the description says it can be wiped off and the "ironing side" isn't rough like the real ironing board covers are. It's also machine washable. I was able to find a remnant so the price was even lower than what it says on Joann's website.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.