• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frustrated with my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just now, she walked by an outside window that is near Java's cage, and he got spooked. He went to fly but his leg got hooked on the half door that he sits on and he was hanging by his foot, flapping and screaming. Thankfully, I was right there when it happened and I grabbed him before he could hurt himself. This is the second time that has happened, and now I'm thinking of not allowing him to sit on that half door. I have since put a blanket on the top of his cage and sat him up there but he is unsure. He's trying to get back to that door now but I don't think it's safe for him to sit there anymore. What should I do? My sister's response to him being spooked is 'he was fine when I walked by the window the first time so he needs to get over it' ....I'm so fed up with her complete disregard for his safety, and not taking any responsibility if she causes him trauma. I'm not a violent person, but she has been testing my patience ever since he came home.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Can you maybe make a fleece (pillow) case to fit over the half door? Then when you open it you just slide the fleece over it.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you maybe make a fleece (pillow) case to fit over the half door? Then when you open it you just slide the fleece over it.
Never thought about that. Going to do that right now. He's been trying to get back to that door since I took him off of it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My thought also.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well...your sister needs to respect your bird and you. Are the windows covered with curtains or blinds? That would help if something goes by. The fleece/ pillow case idea would prevent any further leg catching issues. If, at all possible, have a civil discussion with her about "spooking " your bird...if the shoe were on the other foot,, how would she feel?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well...your sister needs to respect your bird and you. Are the windows covered with curtains or blinds? That would help if something goes by. The fleece/ pillow case idea would prevent any further leg catching issues. If, at all possible, have a civil discussion with her about "spooking " your bird...if the shoe were on the other foot,, how would she feel?
Yes the windows are covered with blinds and curtains and a baby gate, and I keep the curtains open during the day so he can look out of the window. He seems to enjoy it most of the time. I've tried leaving the curtains closed for a day or two and he seemed to be a little anxious. I'm not sure if I should continue to open them or keep them closed. And I've had several talks with my sister about compassion towards Java but she always waves it off with a 'whatever' or 'he needs to get over it' :shifty: at 29, I wish she'd grow up already

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ask her if she wants to oay any vet bills if Java gets her because of her inconsiderate behavior?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ask her if she wants to oay any vet bills if Java gets her because of her inconsiderate behavior?
She would just wave it off, or leave if I pushed the issue. She doesn't work, and would give me every excuse under the sun as to why it wasn't her fault. She's always been self-centered, and I highly doubt that it's going to change, unfortunately.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Fit a piece of plexiglass to the inside of the flat platform door. And then set a blanket on it. That way there is no way to have him slip his foot by accident even around the blanket.
Or use cardboard but just prepare to replace it frequently.
That beak :p

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fit a piece of plexiglass to the inside of the flat platform door. And then set a blanket on it. That way there is no way to have him slip his foot by accident even around the blanket.
Or use cardboard but just prepare to replace it frequently.
That beak :p
Would I get plexiglass at the hardware store or could I find it in Wal-Mart? Even after I altered the area, he got his nail caught in it when he went to fly, so I had to rescue him again. He keeps me on edge. So I'll have to mess around with the door in the morning.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Home depot will cut it for you if you ask them.
It can be relatively expensive so cardboard or a piece of wood cut to shape would likely work just as well.
You could also take Sisal rope (untreated) and thread it through the bars, it would take a while but if you got it tight enough it would also do the same thing.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Home depot will cut it for you if you ask them.
It can be relatively expensive so cardboard or a piece of wood cut to shape would likely work just as well.
You could also take Sisal rope (untreated) and thread it through the bars, it would take a while but if you got it tight enough it would also do the same thing.
I have plenty of sisal and jute, but won't that irritate his foot?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
The sisal is just to keep his leg from getting caught. Have you ever seen a rope mat?

Like that only tighter and THEN place the blanket on top. It would help flatten the area, make it so there are no areas he can get his leg stuck in, and give him something to chew on all at once.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The sisal is just to keep his leg from getting caught. Have you ever seen a rope mat?

Like that only tighter and THEN place the blanket on top. It would help flatten the area, make it so there are no areas he can get his leg stuck in, and give him something to chew on all at once.
Ahhh, I see :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to do something Similar when Daffy had issues with his feet.
I would like to convince him to hang out of the top of his cage since he's gotten a little big for that door and he has to back up, calculate, then reach inside the cage to pull himself in. He's so attached to that door, even though he struggles a bit

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not a violent person, but she has been testing my patience ever since he came home.
Not me either, only when it comes to this kind of things. I would do everything to keep my birds safe.
You can ask one of my neighbors why he doesn't dare to shoot and fireworks anymore. :smuggrin:
She's always been self-centered, and I highly doubt that it's going to change, unfortunately.
Please send her to me. I would not hurt her. (so much, he he)

Perhaps show her this thread?
And as she doesn't seem to care about Java, let her understand that if Java gets hurt, you also gets hurt.
She doesn't need to respect Java, but she most respect that you do. That is how I would have explained it.
And also let her now that Java is your family member. And they should always look after each other.
And continue to explain until she realize what she can do or don't. For your sake. :) :hug4:

Status
Not open for further replies.