• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frozen Chop Mushy

Piper E

Meeting neighbors
I made some chop for my bird with celery, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Problem is, I made a large batch and froze it in daily batches and when I pull it out and defrost it is sooo mushy and my Kui turns her beak up and won't have it at all! Do you all make fresh chop for a say a week and just keep in the refrigerator?? Curious.....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have done it both ways. I generally do frozen though. Some veggies and fruits are more watery and so they make it more watery when it is frozen and thawed. What I would do is add some dry things to it to soak up the excess water. Ideas would be oats, rice, and pasta. :)

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I used to do frozen, but now make small batches that would last about 3 days with daily feedings. Before I put it in the fridge, I add chia seeds to the chop soak up excess liquid. For me, I own a mini food processor so its not that much of a production to do it even the morning of.

The good part is that its making my partner and me eat more greens as we always have fresh fruits and veggies now on hand :)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I use dry ingredients when I make my chop to try to get it to a good consistency and then if it's too wet when I thaw it I'll add more dry ingredients before serving. I like using ground up bee pollen as a dry ingredient, it's supposed to be very healthy. You can add various seeds and grains to change the consistency. I just bought some sprouted seed from Christine's chop shop that I think will work well for absorbing some moisture.

This is a list of safe dry ingredients that I use when I'm chop shopping

IMG_1928.PNG

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I thought on the diabetic store tour they said Celery has salt in it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I thought on the diabetic store tour they said Celery has salt in it.

Celery has 30 to 50 milligrams of sodium per large stalk, which is the same amount as in a carrot stick! And chard has 300 milligrams of sodium per cup, while most greens have at least 100 mg per cup! Sometimes healthy foods have sodium, and that's okay - living things need sodium to live!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Celery has 30 to 50 milligrams of sodium per large stalk, which is the same amount as in a carrot stick! And chard has 300 milligrams of sodium per cup, while most greens have at least 100 mg per cup! Sometimes healthy foods have sodium, and that's okay - living things need sodium to live!
Thanks.

I'm still amazed over discovering that.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I use steel cut oats. :)

Piper E

Meeting neighbors
Good ideas! She likes oats so that’s good. Her favorite veggie right now is cauliflower (go figure!) so maybe fresh on top to bring her attention up!? You all are great thank you!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Throw in some bread crumbs or they especially like dried egg food in it. Plus that’s extra protein.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I use rolled oats, chia, steel cut oats, rice to soak up moisture.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I use rolled oats, chia, steel cut oats, rice to soak up moisture.
I use old- fashioned oats and/or chia seeds. Oats and most grains create a more pudding-like consistency, while chia seeds create a more gelatinous consistency.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do you make your own bread crumbs? Didn’t even think of that @finchly
You can do that, or buy the plain bread crumbs from the store. Actually plain bread crumbs plus 2 hard boiled eggs makes one of the best foods you can give them.

Piper E

Meeting neighbors
I’m definitely going to try that. She is getting better accepting different foods. I read that living with a bird requires a lot of patience and I’m learning that every day! :rofl:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Her favorite veggie right now is cauliflower (go figure!) so maybe fresh on top to bring her attention up!?
Right now, Sherman's favorite is yellow squash. At first, it was carrots. Then anything green. So much for my "alphabet" experiment! :confused:
The conures will eat anything that's chopped up! :dance4:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I cut up Chop about twice a week. Babe Kale, Spring Greens, Corn, Carrots, (I Julianne these as that's How Riti like it) Sugar Peas, Broccoli, Peppers, and whatever is in season that's on the safe bird list. To this I add Higgens cooking food, rice, millet, Quinoa or pasta. The Tiels get a tiny piece of boiled chicken, I haven't done so since Cheddar came so I don't know if he'll like it but Riti doesn't.

I do freeze the Higgens Worldly Cuisine in a ice tray and pop into a baggy. I defrost a couple when I'm in a hurry.