• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

from Oliver's Garden Bird Toys...pls read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
To my valued friends and customers,

It has been brought to my attention that somebody has been attempting to produce exact recreations of my original toy designs that have been introduced to my loyal customers. I want you to know that I neither approved or endorsed their actions.

I work very hard to create original bird toy designs that celebrate life in Nova Scotia. Your bird’s safety is paramount at Oliver’s Garden Bird Toys. As always, Oliver’s Garden Bird Toys remains committed to your bird’s safety and enrichment. I do not wholesale my products at this time...the only place to purchase one of my products is right here at Oliver’s Garden.

Thank you for your support. Please email or pm me to address any concerns you may have.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
They say "copying" is the most sincere form of flattery. In this case I don't think so. Sorry for your troubles.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Susan ..

I'm so sorry about the copy cat. :(

I realize that some toys can look a lot like others, but ... certain vendors have very distinct toys .. toys that are their "signature style". You have your nautical style, Danita has her handpainted style, Jen from TNT is the knotted toys queen .. etc. It's sad that vendors like these, who work so hard to make unique and specialty handmade toys are subject to others duplicating their creative talents.

Personally, I won't support a vendor who is using the copy cat tactic. In my opinion, if they are unethical enough to steal creative designs, then they are not trustworthy. If they are not trustworthy, how can I, in good conscience, give toys they made to my birds. Who knows what else they might be unethical about .. where their toys are made .. materials used .. exposure to other birds. The whole "trust" issue goes down the drain for me.

One of the factors that makes Avian Avenue so unique and special, is our vendors. They are a part of the family .. not just people selling "stuff". They aren't just people out to make a buck. They care about their products, they care about the other members of the forum .. just like family would. When there have been members in need, many vendors here have stepped up to help. That's special, that's unique, that's not just someone out for a buck.

Most of our high quality, handmade toy vendors wouldn't dream of stealing a "style" from another vendor, there is too much respect for each other's work. That's a sign of class and ethic .. and those are the people who will get my business. I will always support our wonderful AA who go out of their way for us .. and .. who are truly honest, ethical and caring people. I personally will never support a vendor who is so uncouth, uncreative and disrespectful that they need to steal designs from within our "family". To those stores, I say .. either get your own ideas, or get out of the business!!!

Hugs to Susan ... you don't deserve this hassle ... and I hope it comes to end quickly. :hug8:

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I will always support our wonderful vendors here who go out of their way for us .. and .. who are truly honest, ethical and caring people. I personally will never support a vendor who is so uncouth, uncreative and disrespectful that they need to steal designs from within our "family". To those stores, I say .. either get your own ideas, or get out of the business!!!
I couldn't have said it better. I also feel that AA is like a "family," including all of our vendors, but it is very sad when trust is broken-- and just for a buck.

Susan, I am so sorry that this has happened to you and to me it is quite sad and low. You have my support 100%. I would never support a vendor who deliberately stole the intellectual property, creativity, and original designs of you or another vendor.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Susan I totally understand and support you. Unfortunately some people dont know where to draw the line. As a jewelry crafter I strive to create original designs and while artistic people do get inspiration from each other to outright copy another artist right down to the details and colors of anothers work is unacceptable. Either you "have it" for designing or you dont and to copy someone elses work is unethical. The appropriate thing would have been to say "I dont make that particular toy, but this person does" and give them the link to your store.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
True story ...

I approached a vendor last year about making a certain food item I saw at another vendor who wasn't a member here. I wanted to give a vendor/member here the business.

The vendor I approached about making the item said she wouldn't duplicate it, that she knew the other vendor, and they had an agreement not to duplicate each other's recipes. She earned a huge amount of respect from me for her holding to her ethics .. I completely understood. She could have done it in "secret" .. but would not compromise her principles. She earned my business for life .. even though she couldn't accommodate that specific request. I figured, if someone was that honest .. they deserved the business no matter what.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
First off, I would like to say that I am not posting here to have it removed or to have anyone degrade me. I am posting as I have a right to speak my side of things.

Yes, I am the one Susan is referring to. I DID NOT recreate her designs in order to take them as my own or sell them on my site as my own. I had a regular customer request me to make those toys and I did. I DID NOT accept them as my own designs to anyone at all.

I am very sorry that it has hurt anyone and I am admitting that I made a mistake and that it will not happen again. I am woman enough to come on here and admit it was me and I also spoke to Susan on the phone. If I was untrusting or didn't care then I would have ignored Susan and not responded to her request to talk to me. I deeply regret what I did and this "lapse of judgement" should not be held against my trustworthiness of myself or my business.

I was trying to please a customer who requested a toy. Yes, I probably should have sent them to Susan's site but I did not, I am very sorry for that. I make wonderful toys and do have my own creative juices as well as any other toy maker. I had no intention of stealing and using someone else's designs and calling them my own.

We are humans, we make mistakes and I made one. I am big enough to admit it and would hope that I could also deserve some forgiveness in this sitatuion. I've rec'd many messages degrading me as a person and I feel that is completely unnecessary. I am human too, how bad I feel is punishment enough.

I am very sorry for those I've hurt and it will not happen again.

Please do not judge me or my business with one mistake that I've made. I am not a bad person and I was at fault by trying to please a customer.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Having creativity is a blessing, you are so fortunate that you have been blessed.
Thankfully, because of it, you will always be one step ahead of others.

I think when someone like yourself is able to produce something unique, it is almost like a little piece of you. When that is duplicated, for profit, it does feel like you have had a piece of yourself stolen. It is hard to explain.

All of your items are so unique, when I received my box of toys, I felt like I got a little piece of Nova Scotia in my home.

Spend a day this week being creative, it is the best therapy, think of something fantastic!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
As a long-time customer/friend, I must voice my disgust for what was done to you.
I am extremely upset that this vendor copied your original toys.
How sad that any small business would think it's perfectly OK to reproduce your toys for profit.
Unethical...unfair....unforgiveable.
The toys may have been exact OG 'knock-offs' in appearance, but they definately would NOT be the quality of the originals from Olivers Garden.
Your nautical theme is enjoyed/loved by everyone that visits Olivers Garden web site.
Without question, you have my support. 100%
I am sorry your were hurt in this way.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The appropriate thing would have been to say "I dont make that particular toy, but this person does" and give them the link to your store.
The sad thing is, that most of the time they won’t want to do that because said person that owns the store where they could get the particular toy from is going to gain customers, while the other person will lose out on customers, and their selfishness can’t let that happen.

People like this disgust me — I think it is that they aren’t getting the best, while other vendors who deserve the best, are getting just that and they can’t handle or deal with knowing that.

I hope that this stops, and soon. It is so unfair to fantastic, much respected and caring vendors like yourself.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
All of your items are so unique, when I received my box of toys, I felt like I got a little piece of Nova Scotia in my home.
[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, I love that sentence. That really says it all.
How refreshing it is, to see Things for Wings and Olivers Garden support one another.
Says so much about the business ethics of both stores! :dance4:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

The sad thing is, that most of the time they won’t want to do that because said person that owns the store where they could get the particular toy from is going to gain customers, while the other person will lose out on customers, and their selfishness can’t let that happen.....
Well, I've had the experience more than once of stores that did not have the item I wanted directing me to the store that did carry it. You can be sure I went back to the original store to buy other things because of the heightened respect I now had for them. I don't think it its all that rare a thing...at least among AA vendors. :)

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thank you for your support and your appreciation of how much my toy designs mean to me. I realize to some they are just "bird toys" but I truly try to put a bit of myself and a little taste of Nova Scotia in every toy.

Thank you again...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
And this thread is closed at the request of the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.