• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Friuts and veggies

Karen1760

Moving in
Real Name
Karen
hello
So we have only had our lovely budgie for a month now. But she has no interest in fruits or veggies. We have tried giving her sherded carrots, broccoli, grapes,apples, blueberries but she doesn’t even seem to look at them. We have a little food dish for her for these food but has never touched any of them. Can you please suggest how to get her interested in these foods I have read it is an important part of their diet.
Thank you

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Mine won't take any fresh produce out of a dish. They do like to shred greens that are hung above a perch. I secure them to the bars with a clothes pin. Also they enjoy broccoli florets that I stick in the bars. Mostly, they copy the canary, who is an enthusiastic greens shredder. Hope yours can catch on without another bird to demonstrate.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My parrotlet will play with veggies hang on a skewer in the cage.she nibbles from it and might be ingesting some when she does. Carrot and broccoli are favorit.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I feel your pain. My Meyers is SUPER picky. It's taken me a LONG time to get her to try different foods, and even now it's not a huge variety. :bash: The key is to keep trying. Offer a variety of things in a variety of ways. Try serving food in chunks, cut in tiny pieces and even mashed. Offer the foods alone and mixed with other foods (chop). I've also sprinkled a few favorite seeds on top of a bowl of veggies to lure her in. :lol: Have you tried pretending to eat it yourself in front of her? I do that too.
This article I wrote about it has some more ideas you could try.

Good luck and let us know how she's doing!!