• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freshly Hatched baby dove...

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Is Olive a Mourning dove? If she can't be released, maybe she can be a Nana for any other doves you care for in the future? I've always read what fine parents pigeons are, perhaps the same is true w/doves? I'm sure there is some part for her to play in the future with your rehabilitation of these birds. Thank you for all that you do for them.:hug8:

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Both doves are happy and hungry this morning - we're hoping to get another warm day so Olive can go outside for sun. It is possible that she might want to help raise future babies - though it may be a problem if she cannot keep herself from laying on them with her mobility issues. She always has a place here no matter what.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bless you, shes precious. Youll be surprised at what shes capable of. :heart::hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Olive is doing better in her fleece. She'll be down in a corner, and I think she needs help, and then she'll just flap right out - we underestimate how well she can get around sometimes. She still looks a bit ratty, but better. We had a warm outside day in the sun yesterday. Trevor and the other 2 doves have been staying inside in my caique's old cage because of freezing temps at night. (Yes, I know they can be out in the elements, but poor little Trevor landed on DH's head and wanted in so badly...) Olive stayed over at CC's house (my mom) when we went to xmas, and new year's overnight. She did great, and my mom's budgie Francesca sang to her and wanted to be friends :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update:)

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Olive is still doing well in her modified cage setup. We have determined that the physical therapy is not having any results - and because it has the negative consequence of making her stressed, we chose to stop doing it. If it would help, we would continue, but the vet's opinion was that it was not going to make a difference at this point, and we agree, seeing no change after weeks. Olive is more relaxed now when I hold her in the evenings. I think she will benefit from not having any negative interactions with us. Again, she is still a little ratty looking, but the soft environment means no irritated spots on her legs or wings. She gets to her food and her nest area just fine - active and alert as always. Trevor still stays inside the old caique cage (he is VERY interested in what goes on in our day-to-day world) and keeps his sister company. The other 2 doves are back on the patio with a heat lamp at night, because they were literally bouncing off the cage walls from the stress of us being near them - I worried about a possible injury, and Trevor was bullying the smaller one. It's really funny when the parrots are screaming, and little Trevor says "cooo" very softly. LOL

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Well it sucks that the therapy isn't helping but at least she is doing well overall and can get to where she needs to go! Thanks for the update :hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
We were hoping she'd get to the point of being at least a little more mobile, but I think we're being very honest and objective with the observation that she has a good quality of life. She hasn't known anything other that the way she scoots/flaps to get around, so it's different that a bird who would have previously had full use of his/her limbs and became disabled later (though there are many examples on AA of birds doing just fine with leg and wing issues). Trevor really likes to forage for seeds in a little swatch of fake grass (patio floor covering plastic carpet-type stuff), so we're going to see how she likes it too. The challenge of introducing interesting toys, etc. is that she is very fearful of new things. The vet also suggested mixing large beads in her food (sized so that that she won't eat them or get her beak stuck in a hole). Our biggest fear for Trevor is that he seems pretty imprinted, much moreso than the other dove clutches I raised (they got much more "wild" when left on the patio with little interaction with us). When it is warm, we'll see how he adapts to being in the new aviary we are building. If he starts showing aversion to us, and more interest in being left alone outdoors, we still hope to release him.

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Ashley, I have followed this thread with interest
and admiration for you. Please keep the updates coming.
Good job, you have done your best.:hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Trevor refused to go to bed, cooing until we finally uncovered him and opened his door.
He quickly flapped down to investigate our super-exciting Saturday night activities...
t 009.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update. I have 5 mourrning doves as pets, they sure are a sweet little flock alll theyre own, however my ringneck dove rules them all....shes the queen, and had raised 4 of them as her own babies. Was nice to have her help.:)

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Oh wow - I bet they are a neat flock! Can you suggest any toys or foraging activities? I'd like to give Olive and Trevor more enrichment, or special treats if there is anything specific that doves might like.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Trevor may have made a friend - wondering if this dove might be one of my others released last summer. This is the little wild bird aviary we built - mainly for fledglings. For soft releases during baby bird season, the door can be left open and birds can come and go until they take off permanently. We put Trev out there as much as weather will allow to get him more accustomed to being outdoors and to let him observe other wild birds.
b 022.jpg

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Also... Trevor flapped by my studio last night (not to worry - there was nothing dangerous he could get into). I do NOT allow birds to hang out on my workspace - but couldn't resist snapping a quick picture.
Trev.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow!!! Thats a fabulous painting! As for dove toys, mine dont really play with much, they like q tips.:huh: as for foraging, they just pick around and fling food on the floor then go down there to get it. Oh, they also pick at the wheat grass, I buy that at Sprouts. Not much help am I???:hehe:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Trevor likes the Q-tips... thanks for the idea! I saw him flying around with one today. He came to visit me again (see photo) but I had to lock him up while I let a few pieces dry - when I let him back out he was MAD, pecking and wing-flapping mad. Olive is the usual Olive - flew across the floor yesterday when I had her out, but normally she is pretty calm. That girl has some serious wing power - just no rudder or landing gear.

There is a flock of 6-7 mourning doves who hang out on the aviary now! It has been snowing for 2 days, so no outdoor time for Trevor, but I hope those others stick around and maybe convince him to join their gang.

Bird-ception.jpg

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Thank you so much for sharing, you are truly a wonderful person to take in those in need. I know nothing so no advice, just a general "THANKS" for being you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats funny how Trevor gets mad, Wren tries to peck me to death when shes mad, shell grab my chin and twist....all the while grunting at me, I guess she means business...:hehe: thanks for the pics!