• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fresh (Red) Blood in Stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop

Rollerblading along the road
He is a Male Timneh Grey Parrot.

He is his regular self today. Not a drop of blood nor has any more wood passed that I could find.

I had lined his cage tray with plastic wrap (that he absolutely could NOT reach) so I could check the poops better as they would not dry out as fast.

My regular vet was not in today, and I really don't know any of the other vets at the clinic.

She is in tomorrow so I felt more comfortable making the appointment for when she is there.

Appointment is for first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
He is a Male Timneh Grey Parrot.

He is his regular self today. Not a drop of blood nor has any more wood passed that I could find.

My regular vet was not in today, and I really don't know any of the other vets at the clinic.

She is in tomorrow so I felt more comfortable making the appointment for when she is there.

Appointment is for first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I'm glad things seem to be back to normal today. Definitely still take him in. It is never a bad thing to get it checked out!

drop

Yes, I am definately taking him in. Don't worry about that ;)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Sending good thoughts..hope nothing is wrong. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
One thing you can do, if you are unsure the cause of the bleeding 9it could have been from a fall too) is if he will eat greens try to offer him as many food sources that contain Vitamin K. You can go to the USDA site: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ and click on: Nutrient list. It will bring up a page and scroll down to the vitamin or nutrient you are looking for.

Vit K helps the clotting factor in the body. This would be good if you are unsure if there is something going on internally, and will help the blood clot rather than bleed out.

drop

Thanks so much Susanne, that is a great link.

He actually eats greens regularly, though not by his own free will. I have to grind them up real small into some puréed sweet potato or squash.

If it was caused by a fall, how long can it take for the passing of blood to manifest itself? I was home at least 5 hours before he passed it and he never fell or even did anything remotely rough, he is not the most playful/active bird, we are working on that ;)

I am hoping that it was just due to the passing of that shard, and it has not done any further damage. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Everyone, thanks again for your help and well wishes :hug8:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.