• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

fresh food question

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
The small size chop from Texas is really good for small birds. Its small enough that I can mix it in with the seed blend. No extra cutting or chopping needed. I had to cut up some of the dehydrated veggies from TNT. My boys don't even know they are eating veggies! I use it mostly when I know I am going to be our for several hours. Otherwise they are very good about eating the fresh I get them chopped several times over. They have not caught on to romaine lettuce yet though. Do not seem to go for blueberries which are in the stores now from US. Once in a while I have mixed in quinoa and they do not go near the veggie dish. One thing I have found that helps is to feed the chopped veggies in a shallow dish. I have 2 that fit into the SS bowl just enough so it is held in place. This way they don't have to dip their heads in a bowl to eat. Gives them a better chance to forage through the veggies.

I will take a photo of the dish arrangement for veggies so you understand what I am talking about

View attachment 250017

That is a genius bowl set up! You could also use it to keep the veggies fresher longer! If you were to freeze a small layer of ice in the stainless steel bowl, it could keep the chop-mix bowl at cooler temperatures longer without making the chop soggy (or should I say soggier? Haha).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All these years I have been using this dish arrangement never thought of ice in the bottom bowl. Great idea for those who want to lengthen the time of freshness. I originally got a set of 6 flat dishes at the goodwill store but now down to only two because of breakage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can't just plunk some food in a bowl and expect any bird to just eat it. Eating is a social activity that is "shared" with the flock. That's you. Flocks eat together and learn what to eat from others in the flock. So start eating healthy stuff (at least pretend to) "with" your bird and teach it what to eat. Make an event out of it. Make lots of yummy noises.

birdielove

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

First I am so sorry that I am only getting back to everyone!, It was a crazy work week so I have to catch up on the weekends. I so appreciate all of your comments, suggestions! That Texas chop sounds wonderful!!! Maybe, just maybe my boys will also not know they are eating veggies, :hehe:

caryelizabeth, thank you for the suggestion of eating in the same room; I do that but all three of my boys were not hand raised so they don't really like me much, sigh; much less want to be THAT close to me. That is partly why I am having a problem with getting them to eat better, among other things. I will definitely try the fresh chop with the cooked quinoa and veggies when I am home though! Thanks again for that suggestion.

sunnysmom, I have been wanting to try birdie bread for awhile now but don't have a recipe that doesn't use Jiffy bread/muffin mix which has too much iron, I think that was the ingredient I was concerned about, in it. Do you, or anyone here have a good bread recipe that doesn't use that mix I could try?

Again, thank you all for your help!!!! I will keep you all posted!

Pam

birdielove

Meeting neighbors
Thank you LadyJane. It looks and sounds great! Question for you: would I be able to leave this in their cages for hours safely?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There should be a phone number on the packaging or a way to ask questions right on Amazon. Some people add to the mix when baking. Things like red Palm oil. So I guess it depends on what you put in the mix. It does have an egg in the mix directions as I recall.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use Momma's also, my birds love it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@Lady Jane I ordered the Texas Chop, and my birds ate it! I'm already ordering another bag. Thanks for the tip!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Does kale chopped freeze well?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not freeze kale. The fresh is so readily available.