• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frenemies

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have a 10 year old female ekki and a 26 year old male ekki. Sometimes they seem to be buddies, but then the female attacks him! He is the sweetest ekki ever and just runs away from her. I have to keep them separated if I'm not right there supervising. Why is my little girl so two-faced? Is there something i can do to get her to play nice?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"Bump" put your post back up to the top.
My female Jasper was so mean to my male Hank that I would get mad at her. He loved her to distraction and would take any abuse she handed out. She would be nice for awile then just rip him and he would do nothing.

I don't know why they do that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love-hate relationship. Nothing you can really do, IMO. I've had birds who were together for many years and they seemed to adore each other and then started fighting so I separated them. I tried to cage them together again and they got along for a while and then started to fight again. When they are out on a stand together they are fine (the boys not the girls) but I would never cage them together again.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Ah. So I'm not the only one this is happening to. I put the partition back in their cage for sleeping. She's all nice while I'm watching, but turn my back and She charges at him. Reminds me of the mean kid in class that all the teachers think is so sweet.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I know I am late but this may help. I have cherry picked some info for you.
''Unlike other parrot species, eclectus parrots are polygynandrous—females may mate with multiple male suitors and males may travel from nesting site to nesting site to mate with multiple females. Suitable hollows are at a premium and the hen vigorously defends her chosen nesting site from other females (perhaps even fighting to the death), remaining resident at 'her tree' for up to 11 months of the year, rarely straying from the entrance to her hollow and relying on multiple males to feed her via regurgitation. Males may travel up to 20 km to forage and up to five males will regularly provide food for each female, each competing with the others for her affections and the right to father her young''. - Eclectus parrot - Wikipedia
'' Several species of cockatoos, the eclectus and a few other species have a reputation for aggression toward their mates - but this behavior has also been seen in cockatiels and lovebirds. In most species, the male is the aggressor -- with the exception of the eclectus parrots, where the dominant sex is the female.
It should be noted that this problem is specific to aviculture -- as it has not been observed in the wild. One explanation may be that wild parrots have the advantage of being able to choose their own mate; they also have "time away" from each other when foraging for food. In the wild, they have the ability to separate once incompatibility has been established.''
'' In natural situations, the hormone levels of mature males and females are in sync, so that both will be ready to mate at the same time. Pets are not often exposed to normal day/night cycles, weather patterns, air pressure changes and other conditions that affect breeding readiness (remember, these factors have molded parrot evolution for millions of years). While captives will survive unnatural conditions, their hormone production can be affected. Therefore, one parrot’s hormones may be stimulating it to reproduce, while its mate is being signaled to avoid reproductive behavior.''
Mate Aggression in Parrots - Why Parrots Fight with their Partners

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Great point @Les charlson !

I think this video (below) will help explain it too. It is normal for a female ekkie to be a little pushy from time to time.