• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing birdy

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a ceramic heater (the no-light thing, I'll get you a link). Mine is very low wattage, 15 watts or something. It works well, and I always put it on one end so they can escape the heat if they need to.
Here's one that has international shipping.
I'm sure I could find that in Europe too, maybe the shipping would be more decent then. But I only find 50W, where did you find a 15W?

I am surprised no one offered to knit Pichu some socks.
Of course! Why didn't I think of that?! :roflmao:
I like those:

Its an idea...They have seedling mats for seeds...The good ones are heavy rubber encased & you could put it under the cage. They don't get very hot. 90 degrees...or so.. Its not going to really get hot but can warm the temps up a bit...just an idea Hydrofarm — Jump Start Seedling Heat Mat, 8.875" x 19.5", 17W
thanks, that's a good idea :) I'm sure I can find it with the right socket and 220V :D Are you in the UK?

Ideally that's what I want, but because of shipment and import taxes, the $32 become a $82 and I won't pay that for a perch, warm or not..
EDIT: I just checked some reviews for that thermo-perch, it got only 1 star on amazon, one said her bird's feet were burnt and she had to take him to the vet, the other said: "Was used for a day, some kinda oil appears to have come out of it, now it doesn’t work at all, purchased a sandy perch on the same time and it works flawless and cost less, also this perch is tiny compared to the sandy perch. When I emailed the company about the oil they said they are sprayed with Wd-40? There was way more oil than that below it, looked like it leaked. Will not buy again, wish I could get my money back."
I'm a bit spooked now.. :bored:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've used Thermo perches for about 6 years without incident, plugged in 6 months of the year. The only reason I'm not using one now is because I sold the larger one I had when Gizmo died, and had the CHE stuff on hand when I brought Ripley home last year. I should actually look at getting him his own Thermo perch!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've used Thermo perches for about 6 years without incident, plugged in 6 months of the year. The only reason I'm not using one now is because I sold the larger one I had when Gizmo died, and had the CHE stuff on hand when I brought Ripley home last year. I should actually look at getting him his own Thermo perch!
Thanks, maybe those were just bad luck.. Someone also said the perch was nice but too large for her tiel's feet, although it was the small model. What size is yours?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks, maybe those were just bad luck.. Someone also said the perch was nice but too large for her tiel's feet, although it was the small model. What size is yours?

I had the small for a 54g green cheek, 90 gram and 110 gram Quakers. Medium for my Hahns. 3 total perches that I used!

They taper... The small ranges from 1/2" to 1 inch near the base.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I had the small for a 54g green cheek, 90 gram and 110 gram Quakers. Medium for my Hahns. 3 total perches that I used!

They taper... The small ranges from 1/2" to 1 inch near the base.
Ok so you have birds bigger than a tiel, and mine are all smaller (parrotlet and budgies) :chin:Their usual perches are finger thick or less.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Gribouille - Any way that you could get someone in the states to order one of the electric ones and ship it cheaper? Is it the shipping that is out of the ball park in rates, or the perch itself?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gribouille - Any way that you could get someone in the states to order one of the electric ones and ship it cheaper? Is it the shipping that is out of the ball park in rates, or the perch itself?
Any item with a price over $38.45, shipping included, is subjected to import taxes at 10.7% + 25%, plus we have to pay a fee for the job the toll has to do to tax us. In the end the item is $50 extra. Better to order from Amazon in Europe, but strangely, the prices are higher and they don't have the small one :meh:, and Ebay is importing from the US so the price is horrible too...
I'll go and ask in the pet shops here, perhaps they can place cheaper orders directly from the producent..

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
About the size of the perch. It can never be to thich only to thin.
But I prefer to have all kinds of sizes to my girl's.

eBay is in Europe too, and have you looked at Wish?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
About the size of the perch. It can never be to thich only to thin.
But I prefer to have all kinds of sizes to my girl's.

eBay is in Europe too, and have you looked at Wish?
I tried the French Ebay, no help.. As for Wish, I don't find the thermo perch there, but most of what they sell there looks like very poor quality anyway

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Any item with a price over $38.45, shipping included, is subjected to import taxes at 10.7% + 25%, plus we have to pay a fee for the job the toll has to do to tax us. In the end the item is $50 extra. Better to order from Amazon in Europe, but strangely, the prices are higher and they don't have the small one :meh:, and Ebay is importing from the US so the price is horrible too...
I'll go and ask in the pet shops here, perhaps they can place cheaper orders directly from the producent..
So if you buy it on Amazon and ship it to a friend in the United States. The friend decides she doesn't want your gift and returns it to you..... would you still be required to pay all that extra money?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So if you buy it on Amazon and ship it to a friend in the United States. The friend decides she doesn't want your gift and returns it to you..... would you still be required to pay all that extra money?
I have to prove I bought it and sent it, then I won't pay the taxes again.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have to prove I bought it and sent it, then I won't pay the taxes again.
Wait, you pay taxes on a gift to a friend? Is that what you mean by again?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We have new regulations that not is working.
Often they don't care if it's a gift. You will need to pay taxes and their fees. Even if you can prove that they are wrong you still need to pay to get your packet.
One I know did order from China, payed the taxes and fees, but they did return the packet to China and my friend never get his money back.
It's crazy!
That's why I order from Wish (that also have good sellers) or from a company that can send from Europe.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe it's cheaper to travel to America to buy your stuff? Or do you have to declare and pay stuff in suitcases too?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Wait, you pay taxes on a gift to a friend? Is that what you mean by again?
yes, we pay taxes on gifts... Like if my family sends gifts to me from abroad, say a couple of CDs and the price comes over $38.45 then I have to pay the taxes before I can get it. Same if I send gifts to them. Even worst if I order something from a company. Like for my son's birthday, my sister sent a package through her work, she can pay the shipment there, they send it with their other post and she doesn't have to go to the post office. So a package with her company's logo arrived at the border, it was stopped and I got a mail asking me the content and the fracture so they could tell me what the tax was. fortunately it was a pair of funny slippers, under $20, so I explained the whole thing and didn't have to pay. Had it been something of higher value I'd been asked to pay to get my son's gift...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
From January 1st we will have to pay taxes and fees whatever the price of the item (no more over or under $38.45) like Eloy in Sweden. So we'll buy a $2 item fro China and be asked to pay $25 to get it... Obviously, people won't go collect their packages anymore and the post office will drown under uncollected post...
So yes, it could be cheaper to fill our suitcases with stuff from abroad, but in theory you are supposed to declare them as you arrive and pay. Also, a trip to the US isn't exactly cheap from here either..