• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing birdy

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I believe @WallyLoopey has fleece snuggle rings. The fleece snuggies are safer than snuggle huts, I believe it's because of them being cut a certain way...
We already have several rings with wool, fleece, cotton, he never uses any of them...

I have some fleece items but if you’re wanting something to actually produce heat, I like the ceramic heat lamp idea. It doesn’t actually put off any light, so it won’t hurt their eyes with brightness. I would position/aim it at one corner of the cage and see if your bird chooses to sit under it.
Yes I would like something producing heat, because anything warm like water or wheat bag and such, will cool down pretty fast, and I'm gone the whole day.

Just thought of the warming rocks that lizards etc have in their cages. Wonder if something along those lines might work as they cannot be too hot as to burn. Again on a little platform set up. :think1:
That sounds like a good alternative, I'll have to look for more info, I had no idea this did even exist!

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
And are often made of sensitive glass and should be placed in some kind of liquid. They are also famous for their thermostat that hung, and when it does, it is in On mode.
The smallest aquarium heather I have is for 25 L tank size. :)
Right... I do not intend to use a 25l bottle in his cage... :unsure1: I didn't get the thermostat that hung?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I use a ceramic heat lamp for Ripley and it works very well for him on a thermostat to prevent it getting too hot.
You mean you have a thermostat that didn't come with the lamp?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You mean you have a thermostat that didn't come with the lamp?

Correct. Look into reptile supplies :)

Or use a dimmer switch and monitor with an infared temp gun (which is technically what I do)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not use anything not meant for birds. There is always a reason. The perch is a good idea. I used them for my budgies but wrapped it in vet tape so it was softer on their foot. This perch is meant for birds and is perfectly safe to use. I see from the link the price has gone up since the cooler to colder months are very soon to come. Size small is ok for little birds too.

Last winter I bought a ceramic small heater that I ran close to the cage on cold nights and it was safe and effective.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Correct. Look into reptile supplies :)

Or use a dimmer switch and monitor with an infared temp gun (which is technically what I do)
So those lamps are all dimmable or do I have to check if it is before I buy one?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So those lamps are all dimmable or do I have to check if it is before I buy one?

It's not a true lamp. It's a lightless heat source. All the ones I've used over the years have worked with a on/off thermostat or dimmer switch.

Make sure you use a ceramic socket though. They'll melt a regular socket.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also you'll need to make sure the dimmer is rated for the wattage of the CHE or also risk a fire.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:confused: Why do they have to be SO warm... I just need something at body temperature

Because you're looking at alternatives to avoid buying something that exists lol

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would warn against the heated reptile rocks - they've been known to get too hot and cause injuries to reptiles. As I understand, best practice is to use a ceramic heat lamp to warm a suitable basking spot.

Please don't put your bird at risk of injury because you're trying to save money. Safely heating an animal habitat needs to be done really carefully to minimise the risk of injuries and fires.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I believe @WallyLoopey has fleece snuggle rings. I also think they're could be disastrous results w/ the aquarium heater. The fleece snuggies are safer than snuggle huts, I believe it's because of them being cut a certain way...

Handcrafted Bird Toys Supporting Rescue by HootnHollerBirdToys

I'm not sure about a cheaper alternative for shipping but I tagged her, so hopefully she'll ne anle to assist...

I have squares of fleece hanginging like tents in my birbs' night cage. They can crawl inside to keep warm, still sitting on a perch. Hopefully that helps keep their feet warm.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Because you're looking at alternatives to avoid buying something that exists lol
Good point :D

I know you can find heated gloves/socks/shoes on battery or on USB. One of my former colleague used the shoe type on battery. I don't know if there has been reported accidents with those devices yet.

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I would warn against the heated reptile rocks - they've been known to get too hot and cause injuries to reptiles. As I understand, best practice is to use a ceramic heat lamp to warm a suitable basking spot.
Please don't put your bird at risk of injury because you're trying to save money. Safely heating an animal habitat needs to be done really carefully to minimise the risk of injuries and fires.
I haven't had a look at it yet, but I doubt Pichu would sit on a rock anyway. He is more a perch type of bird..

I have squares of fleece hanginging like tents in my birbs' night cage. They can crawl inside to keep warm, still sitting on a perch. Hopefully that helps keep their feet warm.
I made one like those but none of my birds was interested. It is too bad because they are less prone to encourage nesting behavior than the snuggle huts.. :sour:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We use a ceramic heat thing for like reptiles and just keep it outside Dobbys cage by his favorite roosting perch when it starts getting cold at nights here. We keep it far enough away he can't touch it or chew up the wires but close enough he gets a nice warm spot to hang out in if he chooses. You should be able to find them and a suitable mounting setup and socket there. We use a old sewing adjustable light thing and so far no issues and we've used it for years.Ours has a clamp thing on it so we keep a old shelf by the cage and clamp it to it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We use a ceramic heat thing for like reptiles and just keep it outside Dobbys cage by his favorite roosting perch when it starts getting cold at nights here. We keep it far enough away he can't touch it or chew up the wires but close enough he gets a nice warm spot to hang out in if he chooses. You should be able to find them and a suitable mounting setup and socket there. We use a old sewing adjustable light thing and so far no issues and we've used it for years.Ours has a clamp thing on it so we keep a old shelf by the cage and clamp it to it.
thanks, it seems like the ceramic heater is the safest idea so far if used properly :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are also famous for their thermostat that hung, and when it does, it is in On mode.
I've had this happen many times over the years. I guess I've owned every brand of aquarium heater -- they all malfunction eventually. And you're right; it's always "on."

@taxidermynerd - good points you made, and thanks for the visual! :scared4: Nobody wants that to happen to their birdcage/bird!

@Gribouille I have a ceramic heater (the no-light thing, I'll get you a link). Mine is very low wattage, 15 watts or something. It works well, and I always put it on one end so they can escape the heat if they need to.
Here's one that has international shipping. Amazon.com : theBlueStone 2-Pack 100 Watt Mini Ceramic Heat Emitter No-Light Infrared Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb for Terrarium Aquarium Amphibian Snake Chickens Brooder Birds Pets : Pet Supplies

I am surprised no one offered to knit Pichu some socks.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its an idea...They have seedling mats for seeds...The good ones are heavy rubber encased & you could put it under the cage. They don't get very hot. 90 degrees...or so.. Its not going to really get hot but can warm the temps up a bit...just an idea

This brand I really like///

Hydrofarm — Jump Start Seedling Heat Mat, 8.875" x 19.5", 17W

Some of those other heat sources are infrared & not sure about that...seems it might be ok though..they sell bulbs..

They do get hot though...

Heat lamps made of clay provide direct heat with lighting the level of moonlight [51401011001-50]

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Could have sworn Dr. Fosters used to sell a heated perch. Did you do a google search?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna