1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freezing birdy

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by Gribouille, 10/12/19 at 7:34 AM.

1. Gribouille

Gribouille Rollerblading along the road

Pichu (parrotlet) always has cold feet and loves to come and warm up on me. He also loves to sip at my tea and stand over steam...
    Now that Winter is on its way and I'll be at work most of the day, I'd like to provide him with a source of heat in his cage. I've looked at thermo-perches but the prices + shipment were quite steep and they were far too big. I'm considering macgyvering something from an aquarium heater, unless someone here has a better idea?

Fergus Mom and Rain Bow like this.
  2. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

There is a thread here about heaters that are sold. Let me go see if I can find it.

Fergus Mom, Eloy, Rain Bow and 2 others like this.
  3. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Horse feathers. My tablet didn't copy the thread.

I just bumped the thread.

Avitec heat panels.

Fergus Mom, Lady Jane, Eloy and 3 others like this.
  4. MommyBird

MommyBird Biking along the boulevard Avenue Veteran

Debbie
  5. Gribouille

Thanks, I saw it but those are panels, I was looking for a perch to warm his feet :). Could he stand on such a panel or does it have to hang on the side of the cage?

Last edited: 10/12/19 at 9:05 AM
    Fergus Mom, Rain Bow and Clueless like this.
  6. Clueless

Hangs.

I'd be scared of a heated perch. Fear of them getting burned.

7. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    You can use ceramic heat lamp hung outside her cage.

8. Gribouille

Don't you think they'd move away before it goes that far? The nice thing with the aquarium thing is that you can regulate the temperature from 17 to 35C. Impossible to get burned :)

Last edited: 10/12/19 at 12:06 PM
  9. Gribouille

I thought of that but I read they dry the feathers out...? And then, it wouldn't warm his feet. The thermo-perches are so expensive, and they are hard, looks like concrete or sand perches, I don't know how a bird could sit on that for hours to keep his feet warm, and not get sore from the material :shifty:
    I think I'll go for the aquarium warmer. It is much cheaper and it is already formed like a perch, should be easy to fix it and transform it into what I need.. :cool: I'll let you know when it is ready :)

Rain Bow likes this.
  10. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    A lamp will warm the feet.

11. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bee (pronouns they/them)
  12. Gribouille

It is not only a few bucks... With shipment and import tax, the bird perch ends up at $82.53... Which is really a waste for a perch, warm or not. I'll have to find something else..

13. Birdie Mama

Birdie Mama Meeting neighbors

How about a hot water bottle hanging on the side of the cage or on the bottom of the cage or on a platform . He can sit on it when he wants to. Just make sure to put a towel on it.

14. Gribouille

That's a solution, it would cool down though, unless I have this aquarium heater inside of course :cool:

Rain Bow likes this.
  15. Rain Bow

Rain Bow Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Rain
    I believe @WallyLoopey has fleece snuggle rings. I also think they're could be disastrous results w/ the aquarium heater. The fleece snuggies are safer than snuggle huts, I believe it's because of them being cut a certain way...

Handcrafted Bird Toys Supporting Rescue by HootnHollerBirdToys

I'm not sure about a cheaper alternative for shipping but I tagged her, so hopefully she'll ne anle to assist...

Just-passn-thru, Gribouille and Eloy like this.
  16. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran Vendor

Kate
    I have some fleece items but if you’re wanting something to actually produce heat, I like the ceramic heat lamp idea.
    It doesn’t actually put off any light, so it won’t hurt their eyes with brightness. I would position/aim it at one corner of the cage and see if your bird chooses to sit under it.

On the fleece safety- I like mine cut thicker and chunkier versus long strands. Less change of entanglement:)

17. Birdie Mama

Birdie Mama Meeting neighbors

Just thought of the warming rocks that lizards etc have in their cages. Wonder if something along those lines might work as they cannot be too hot as to burn. Again on a little platform set up. :think1:

18. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    That is what they can heat the water with. Not how warm they get. They get very very warm and will definitively burn a parrots feet.
    And are often made of sensitive glass and should be placed in some kind of liquid. They are also famous for their thermostat that hung, and when it does, it is in On mode.

If you get a platform perch you can add some wheat heaters = safe. Minikudde Vetevärmare Naturell Grön, ekologisk | Happy Green
    Or arrange a electrical heating pad under the platform peach.

Way to small for a heater. It will burn the plastic (= poison gas) and without water the heather can explode. (glass all over your parrot and cage, and can start a fire)
    The smallest aquarium heather I have is for 25 L tank size. :)

19. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    Using an aquarium heater outside of water can cause the element to overheat and/or the glass to shatter. It can burn not only your bird but also cause a fire. I definitely do not recommend. Not sure how much more comfortable sitting on glass would be vs molded plastic either ;)

You don't need the heat to be ON the feet to warm the bird. I use a ceramic heat lamp for Ripley and it works very well for him on a thermostat to prevent it getting too hot. Besides, if it is directed to a perch, then the perch will warm up too and then the feet!

Rain Bow, Fergus Mom, finchly and 2 others like this.
  20. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bee (pronouns they/them)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)